Do Canadian Universities mainly look at your IB grades rather than overall GPA?

Guest Fiorella

Guest Fiorella

I'm wondering if it's any different from the American System with grades. I will be taking a gap year (2013 gap year, I'll start university 2014) so I will then send my actually IB scores out to Canada. I'm wondering though, if they'll just let me in with those grades (if I have total accumulated points required. Example: First option is University of British Columbia, 32 pts required for the business program) or will they also take my GPA into account a lot too. I hear Canadian universities also mainly look at the second semester of your junior year and the first semester of your senior year (in this case for me it would be my whole senior year). What are your thoughts/experiences regarding my question and Canadian Univerisities overall?

Thanks a bunch and hope everyone's having a good summer! :) I'm working on my extended essay :(

-Fiorella

Since you're an international student it is very very likely that they will look at your IB grades over your semester grades. Canadian unis are more familiar with the IB and its scoring system than that of the school system in Spain. It's just easier for them to use your IB grades to compare you against other applicants applying for the same program since they are more familiar with how the program works. As long as your predicted grades meet the requirements and your supplementary application (if it's required for your program) are good, then you should get in. Amazingly enough Canadian unis aren't very strict if your final grades drop from your predicteds, though I would still try not to drop too much in the slight chance that your offer is revoked.

But send them your grades from the Spanish system anyways, they may have a look at those.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to almost all Ontario schools and Concordia in Quebec and to be honest, they don't look at GPA. Make sure you do something amusing during your gap year though cause they'll look at what you've done. I'm taking a gap semester and will most probably go to Thailand for 3 moths to work in an orphanage. Just get good final results and they won't really look at your semester GPAs.

hey!!! I will be applying to 5 Canadian universities, for mathematics and economics degree in the year 2013-

1-UBC

2-Mcgill

3-Mcmaster

4-Waterloo

5-U of T

Just wanted to know the requirements to get assured admission into these universities! Not the minimum requirements.... Thank You...

Maths, Economics, B&M (HL)

English, French ab-initio, ESS (SL)

Have you looked at their websites? Each university states their entry requirements. Having said that, there is no "assured admission".

hey!!! I will be applying to 5 Canadian universities, for mathematics and economics degree in the year 2013-

1-UBC

2-Mcgill

3-Mcmaster

4-Waterloo

5-U of T

Just wanted to know the requirements to get assured admission into these universities! Not the minimum requirements.... Thank You...

Maths, Economics, B&M (HL)

English, French ab-initio, ESS (SL)

I know for McGill the minima of the pool of accepted applicants for economics was 36, with no grade lower than a 5 and a 5 in math HL or 6-7 in math SL.

It's also a selective program so you're better off getting a 37-38