Math, physics or engineering

Ezak

So I am having a real hard time to narrow down what I want to study at uni. I know that either way it will involve a lot of math, as that is what I enjoy the most.

I guess the question is, can you get jobs outside of academia with math and/or physics degrees? I don't feel like I want to be stuck at university for my whole life, and that is why I'm not sure which one to pick.

Any help?

look at this:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2073703_2073653_2073681,00.html

I'm going to be studying maths at uni. I was at first like you, thinking that studying maths or pure science would not get me far. I thought a maths degree could only make me a teacher or a lecturer, which is not exactly the kind of job I want to be doing. however, people told me that there are lots and lots of job I could possibly take up (depending on what I take for my Master's) and it's not strictly maths-based -- could be in economics sector, in a business (stats!), computing, sciences, and many more. you know an actuary gets a very high pay. and maths is important in any business, so you could really work (almost) anywhere you like!

if you're a male, being an engineer is not a bad option! I didn't want to because it's too risky and it's more like an outdoor job (which is not of my liking). you get a really high pay, though! if you see the list on the link above, engineering is also on the top 10. however, you will have to deal with a lot of physics (and sometimes chemistry) that almost all universities will require you to take Physics HL (unless you're going to the US, obviously, where they don't really ask you to do specific subjects in the IB). you need to make sure that you like physics, otherwise you might regret taking engineering later on.

not sure about pure physics.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I will manage whatever i choose, after all, you make your own future (well, kind of at least).

I think engineering might have nestled into my mind because of what I want out of a job in the future. But thinking of it, I'm not even sure that I want to work with what engineers normally do. With that said, I'm sure that there are many more areas that an engineer can go into, and that I'm generalizing.

I'll definitely think of what you said desy glau, after all math is my most liked subject, and even though I find it hard from time to time, which is one of the reason why I'm a little frightened to go into mathematics. Still I'm aiming for a 7, and think I might be able to do it, so there shouldn't be any problem, or what do you think? I saw the sample test for mathematical aptitude on oxfords site, and that wasn't impossible, actually it looked easier than I expected.

I will have to do some thinking over the summer. Thank you all for the advice!

I'm a math student and I'm currently working(summer job) at a software company specializing in petroleum technology.

Math is really really broad and you can practically get a job in any type of field given your specialization, because math is fundamentally used in every industry.

• Like 1

"If you're a male, being an engineer is not a bad option!" .... ummm sexist much? Can't females be engineers?

Well, the ratio male/female is pretty damn high if you ask. Of course, females can be awesome engineers! I think what Desy Glau was saying is more that it's more a male field and you need to feel comfortable with that if you really want to become an engineer. And by the way, Desy Glau is a female if I'm not mistaken, so don't call out sexism at first glance ;)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will manage whatever i choose, after all, you make your own future (well, kind of at least).

I think engineering might have nestled into my mind because of what I want out of a job in the future. But thinking of it, I'm not even sure that I want to work with what engineers normally do. With that said, I'm sure that there are many more areas that an engineer can go into, and that I'm generalizing.

I'll definitely think of what you said desy glau, after all math is my most liked subject, and even though I find it hard from time to time, which is one of the reason why I'm a little frightened to go into mathematics. Still I'm aiming for a 7, and think I might be able to do it, so there shouldn't be any problem, or what do you think? I saw the sample test for mathematical aptitude on oxfords site, and that wasn't impossible, actually it looked easier than I expected.

I will have to do some thinking over the summer. Thank you all for the advice!

hmmm, what kind of job are you more interested in? for example, I myself prefer to be working behind the desk. in the office. facing a computer. doing some maths. and hence I thought the pure maths course would be appropriate for me. if you are afraid that you wouldn't enjoy being an engineer, then try and do a bit more googling. alternatively, talk to your maths/physics/chem teachers and see if they could advise you on what working as an engineer is like! :)

it's good that you like maths. hmm, well, of course nobody is perfect. no matter how much you love maths, there will be things that you find challenging - as I do too, unless you are some kind of genius or a professor already... of course, a 7 in maths is achievable :) and it all starts with an interest, so you'll be fine!

about the oxford MAT, well that's kinda striking me! lol. I have to agree that the latest one was pretty easy (2011, for 2012 entry), but the previous one (2010, for 2011 entry) was really difficult for me! :P

yeah, do think about it carefully! talk to your teachers - they're one of the best people to talk to. good luck with your decision! :)

PS. and, are you thinking of applying to oxford? if so, let me know!

"If you're a male, being an engineer is not a bad option!" .... ummm sexist much? Can't females be engineers?

Well, the ratio male/female is pretty damn high if you ask. Of course, females can be awesome engineers! I think what Desy Glau was saying is more that it's more a male field and you need to feel comfortable with that if you really want to become an engineer. And by the way, Desy Glau is a female if I'm not mistaken, so don't call out sexism at first glance ;)

thanks iHubble! yes that's what I meant and yes I'm a girl :P

I wanted to elaborate a bit on that in my first post, but I didn't think that was necessary so yeah.. :P but yeah basically I said that coz the job is more appropriate for men in general :)

Yeah, well, aren't we all applying for oxbridge? haha. We'll have to see if I get in, I guess I have a shot, but there are so many factors to take into consideration, and choosing math is, while I think the right thing to do for me, kind of a wild card, seeing as a almost self- study it.

Actually, the thing worrying me the most is that I will not be able to apply or use the knowledge after university, it seems that a lot of people, at least in sweden, do some program at university, and then end up somewhere completely different, where they may have a position as a boss, but will never have to use math or physics ever again. I don't think that will suit me very well. That and the fact that I like solving problems that has to do with mathematics, much more than I like the whole other part of different subjects.

Maybe your right, I'll look over the earlier sample and see if I find it tougher! Once again, thank you all for the advice, you guys rock!