Question about my U of T offer

MJSalam

Hey,

I got accepted into Life Sciences at U of T quite a while ago, but as the IB results day nears, I'm starting to question the conditions that they sent via courier. It's very vague and just says: Maintain your grades, especially in required courses and achieve the IB diploma.

1. The website says we need a minimum 28 for a PROVISIONAL offer of admission. In addition to the "achieve the IB diploma" line, does that mean that a 28 is no longer necessary? For a friend that was accepted into engineering, they actually stated that he cannot dip below 28, which is a lot more specific, but they don't put that on the Life Sciences offers which is odd. I'm not in danger of that, but it would be nice to be at 100% ease.

2. What about TOK and EE points? If they consider the grades out of 45, then that means they include them in the FINAL grades right? I know that they don't for your predicted, but again, better safe than sorry. Oh and the APPTRACK page actually says "

Your predicted IB results (1-7 scale), including TOK/Extended Essay/Bonus points"

Anyone have any ideas?

:D

1. I seriously doubt they care even if you drop 8 points or something. Just get a high enough total to attain the IB diploma. The only reason they care about you actually getting the diploma in the end is to assess the credit you can get from your HL courses (you can get credit for most HL courses provided you get at least a 5). Of course you don't have to take this credit, but if you choose to claim it, this is what getting the diploma is for.

2. Yeah they would include bonus points in your final grade.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this back-up, but I did come across a certain forum where a guy achieved 25 points, but failed due to not having enough points in HL. He applied to both UBC and U of T for Life Sciences and was accepted.

He said he called them (U of T) up and they actually said they would ADMIT him but on academic probation for a whole year.I thought this was absolutely ridiculous(nice, but ridiculous), since it clearly states that we need to achieve the IB diploma.

Why are their policies so darn ambiguous? I love U of T, but sometimes they tend to speak in riddles...

Especially with the results so damn near, not knowing what I need and what I'm going to get is a little discomforting. I'm going to stick with the "Achieve the IB Diploma" and just hope to get credits in my HLs...

Being on academic probation just basically means your grades will be closely watched for a year, probably by one of your academic advisors. You may have to go in for stuff like extra help sessions or tutoring if your grades fall below a certain point.

Yeah it's just Canadian unis who are strangely generous with IB students. I think they're too nice sometimes because just scraping a diploma with 4s in almost everything is not adequate preparation for university level study. It really isn't.

Yeah just aim for the IB Diploma to keep your offer, but hopefully your own personal points goal is higher than that...

It's a trend I noticed across many Canadian Unis, but hey I'm not complaining haha! I just thought it was strange that a university as large as U of T would bother with students that could not meet a very low requirement.

Haha I'm aiming for a LOT more than that, but i'm not going to get myself too caught up in just how many points i THINK i'll get and just be happy knowing that the Diploma is enough!

It's a trend I noticed across many Canadian Unis, but hey I'm not complaining haha! I just thought it was strange that a university as large as U of T would bother with students that could not meet a very low requirement.

It's because UofT is a huge university with many spots to fill; they don't want to lose out on too many people after results come out.