university access with ib certificates

toby

I honestly haven't seen any universities that accept students who only have IB certificates but a few students have asked about this before and the topics can be found here:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18727-certificate-students-accepted-in-good-universities/

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18632-ib-certificate-and-university-entrance/

I would advise you not to give up the IB Diploma program if you are still taking it, but if you have already completed your certificates (seeing you took the May 2011 exams), I suggest you either go back and get a Diploma or complete another program like Germany's curriculum (since I noticed you're from Germany) or equivalent.

If you plan on going to The States, IB certificates are more than enough and the diploma is excessive. The UK is not an option without the the diploma. I dunno about Continental Europe, but I'm quite sure the diploma will be a requirement there.

I don't think that is true for the US. To my knowledge they do require you to send the IB Diploma once you graduate. I have been in contact with my school's US college counseling office and when I asked, they told me that the Diploma is required if you are not enrolled in any other curriculum.

If you plan on going to The States, IB certificates are more than enough and the diploma is excessive. The UK is not an option without the the diploma. I dunno about Continental Europe, but I'm quite sure the diploma will be a requirement there.

I don't think that is true for the US. To my knowledge they do require you to send the IB Diploma once you graduate. I have been in contact with my school's US college counseling office and when I asked, they told me that the Diploma is required if you are not enrolled in any other curriculum.

I don't know for sure, but are you definite they mean the IB Diploma? I mean in the US you seem to get a 'High School' diploma literally just for bothering to turn up to school for 2 years and I think they also count that as a valid type of diploma, so it seems extreme to compare it to the IB Diploma! I'm sure I've heard of people in the US who've applied with certificates but also got the high school diploma. So it would be worth checking that you couldn't just get your school to write down something along the lines of you turned up, did the lessons etc. and have that count as a 'diploma' because technically it would have the same validity as the high school diplomas.

The best option is clearly just to continue with the IB Diploma, for the record. Even if you get a low score, if you have the whole diploma it seems to be better recognised than certificates which (in the UK at least) are basically worthless as qualifications in terms of their recognition and value.

I don't know for sure, but are you definite they mean the IB Diploma? I mean in the US you seem to get a 'High School' diploma literally just for bothering to turn up to school for 2 years and I think they also count that as a valid type of diploma, so it seems extreme to compare it to the IB Diploma! I'm sure I've heard of people in the US who've applied with certificates but also got the high school diploma. So it would be worth checking that you couldn't just get your school to write down something along the lines of you turned up, did the lessons etc. and have that count as a 'diploma' because technically it would have the same validity as the high school diplomas.

Yes, but those people had actually finished another high school curriculum. I doubt universities would accept anyone who just got a few IB certificates and nothing more. If toby actually showed up to school to finish the (I assume) German high school then the IB Diploma is probably not necessary and the certificates just get you credit for classes. The way his question is phrased though, implies that you only have some certificates and nothing else, right?

Hey thanks for the answers. I got a high school diploma aswell (got it during my exchange year). But it seems that it isn't of any value as it is from a random public school. I am asking because I think I also failed my retakes - I just want to know my options in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

For the US, they actually do accept certificates. I know a couple of friends of mine who did certificate and they got into Texas etc. Some other friends did do the IB diploma but failed cause they didn't bother studying anymore since offers are unconditional!

In europe you can't go anymore with certificates. I mean, UK universities do accept certificates but they are definitely not the best ones. Those would be the universities above the top 40 but even then, it is not guaranteed that you get an offer. I don't know anywhere else in Europe where they are okay with certificates. Once you say the word IB, they want the diploma =/