How to Study for a Math Exam?

ivyleaguegirl

How do you guys study for a math exam? My math exam is in exactly one week and i have 7 units to review: Trigonometry, Transformations of Functions, Exponents (this was review), Radicals + Imaginary Numbers, Sequences + Series, Logarithms, Pre-Calculus. Our teacher told us how many questions there will be per unit and Trigonometry, Exponents, Sequences + Series, and Transformations of Functions have the most questions on the exam, which is why I'm focusing on them more. I know that math is basically doing all the questions but I feel that if I do every single question in the textbook again I will be spending more time on one thing then another. So, is it better to practice some questions for each unit and look at my tests or actually go through the entire textbook and do every single question.

I

That is five cores out of the seven cores in IB so don't sweat it. I would suggest that you first take a day and go through your notes and re-familiarize yourself with the different methods and rules and so on. Then plan to solve around 50-100 questions a day for each core. This will take 5 days. Now you have 1 day left to again review your notes and put emphasis on parts that you did not understand completely.

If there are any questions that you need help with, message me or open a thread in the math section and I'll be sure to help.

Good luck on your exam mate :)

If you can, get your hands onto some past papers, because really in the end they are the best way to study. It makes sure your are doing all the different types of questions that could come up, and is the best preparation for exams. Since I'm guessing you have only just finished IB1 there will probably be a lot of questions in them that you havn't learnt to deal with yet, but have a look through them and do the ones that look the slightest bit familiar.

Practise, practise, practise. Whether that be through your text book or past papers, it doesn't matter. Practise is important, especially in maths I find, because you either know how to do a question or don't. And if you don't get a question right, I would review my notes in that part of the syllabus and look at examples in the textbook to help remember, and then practise again. Past paper questions would be best to familiarise yourself with how the questions are asked, but I'd do text book questions before those to make sure you actually know how to do it first.