Economics HL AND Business HL

Guest Milana Velikaya

Guest Milana Velikaya

I want to study Economics in the university,that's why I don't have a better idea than. taking both Economics HL and Business HL. Does it make sense or it is completely useless and these subjects are too similar to be chosen at the same time?

Edited by Milana Velikaya

it is what i do. i definitely recommend this combination plus maths HL if you are good or at least SL. You can choose philosophy as well if you are interested (I don't have an opinion about philosophy HL) because there are courses in university that wou can combine them. you can choose also law.

Edited by The Economist
Why the caps, mate?

I do not suggest taking B&M HL. It is considered an "easy" subject by the most competitive universities (at least in the UK). If you are good with sciences go with Physics or Chemistry at HL because what they are looking for is someone with good skills in maths and you need to differentiate yourself when everyone already has Mathematics as an HL subject. If you do not want to choose a second science or have it as HL, then I'd say have a language as a third higher.

Guest Milana Velikaya

I do not suggest taking B&M HL. It is considered an "easy" subject by the most competitive universities (at least in the UK). If you are good with sciences go with Physics or Chemistry at HL because what they are looking for is someone with good skills in maths and you need to differentiate yourself when everyone already has Mathematics as an HL subject. If you do not want to choose a second science or have it as HL, then I'd say have a language as a third higher.

I am good at sciences,but I heard that they're extremely hard at HL,so I kinda don't want to waste time on it,since I will not need it if I will be successfully accepted at the course of Economics.

Do you think it would be anyhow useful to take some additional subject from Humanities? And which one?

Guest Milana Velikaya

I believe that the subjects I've chosen so far aren't good at all

HL:

Mathematics

Economics

B&M

SL:

English A (I am not a native speaker)

French ab initio

Environmental S&S

Edited by Milana Velikaya

If you're going to the UK, then Bussiness is a VERY avoidable subject as it is viewed as a soft option. Additionally, in a UPenn talk, the admissions officer said that if you apply to Wharton, they don't like it if you have Bussiness. They want economics and math HL for sure. Two languages might be good. Environmental systems is again viewed as a soft option in the UK and can hurt you. Bio SL is supposed to be fairly easy, or D&T if your school offers it.

Guest Milana Velikaya

If you're going to the UK, then Bussiness is a VERY avoidable subject as it is viewed as a soft option. Additionally, in a UPenn talk, the admissions officer said that if you apply to Wharton, they don't like it if you have Bussiness. They want economics and math HL for sure. Two languages might be good. Environmental systems is again viewed as a soft option in the UK and can hurt you. Bio SL is supposed to be fairly easy, or D&T if your school offers it.

Thank you for your advice! :)

If you say that you're good at sciences, then Bio SL or Chem SL are good choices; Chem isn't hard, and Bio is apparently easy to. I do agree with ananya that ESS is considered weak. Try to think of a different HL to B&M though. If you are confident, do Chem and the Analytical option (surprisingly easy) or Bio. Otherwise, I don't know. Of course, just adding a "less weak" science is a start. Everyone has fairly similar views, so something must be right, right?

Guest Milana Velikaya

If you say that you're good at sciences, then Bio SL or Chem SL are good choices; Chem isn't hard, and Bio is apparently easy to. I do agree with ananya that ESS is considered weak. Try to think of a different HL to B&M though. If you are confident, do Chem and the Analytical option (surprisingly easy) or Bio. Otherwise, I don't know. Of course, just adding a "less weak" science is a start. Everyone has fairly similar views, so something must be right, right?

I thought of taking Psychology HL,because I believe it might be somehow useful for Economics. Am I wrong or it could really give me some advantages in future?

Guest Milana Velikaya

ur are screwed it's like physics and math Hl but with alot of memorization :!

It doesn't matter how screwed I am, I just wonder whether it will be helpful when applying to the Economics course in the UK? :D

if you want to study economics then b & m is not considered to be soft and avoidable subject... if you dont want to study economics and you want something else then it is avoidable.. for you i would choose Econ HL Philosphy HL (IT FITS PERFECTLY WITH ECON) and maths HL or a Language HL AND LANGUAGES SL AND A SCIENCE SL BUT NOT ESS (IT IS ****) DO BIOLOGY INSTEAD

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to study economics then b & m is not considered to be soft and avoidable subject... if you dont want to study economics and you want something else then it is avoidable.. for you i would choose Econ HL Philosphy HL (IT FITS PERFECTLY WITH ECON) and maths HL or a Language HL AND LANGUAGES SL AND A SCIENCE SL BUT NOT ESS (IT IS ****) DO BIOLOGY INSTEAD

Er dude, B&M is considered a VERY bad option by most colleges in the UK. I've asked representatives from oxbridge, imperial, kings, UCL, LSE and the other cream of the UK universities as well as checked out a lot of other websites for colleges when I was picking my subjects.

Thank you for your advice! :)

no prob :D

I believe that the subjects I've chosen so far aren't good at all

HL:

Mathematics

Economics

B&M

SL:

English A (I am not a native speaker)

French ab initio

Environmental S&S

I believe the list is now something like

HL - Math, Eco, Psych/whatev

SL - English A, French Ab, Bio/Chem

If I can give some more advice, take a science at HL and psych at SL. Also, unless you're hellbent on french, take spanish ab, cos french grammar is killer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Milana Velikaya

If I can give some more advice, take a science at HL and psych at SL. Also, unless you're hellbent on french, take spanish ab, cos french grammar is killer.

You're right :) I have Maths,Eco and Psych as HLs and English A,French ab initio and Chemistry as SLs and I am so happy about my choice now :) I am totally convinced that French will help me in future and that Psychology would be way more useful than science :D

I am really-really grateful for everyone's advice,including you :D

You're right :) I have Maths,Eco and Psych as HLs and English A,French ab initio and Chemistry as SLs and I am so happy about my choice now :) I am totally convinced that French will help me in future and that Psychology would be way more useful than science :D

I am really-really grateful for everyone's advice,including you :D

Cool :D No problem.

• 2 months later...