Economics HL or Economics SL with Business and Management HL?

SammiDee

I'm currently choosing my DP options, and I'm interested in going into finance/accounting later on. My school's really small, so they don't offer Business and Management at standard level, and they don't let you take Eco HL and Business and Management HL. Would it therefore be better for me getting into college to study such courses, to take Economics HL [and then I can't do Business and Management but economics is more highly thought of anyway] or Economics at standard level with Business and management higher?

It is my belief (and only mine - I may be wrong), that doing Economics HL is better. BUT, it depends on exactly what you are planning on doing after school. If you are going into the financing aspect, B&M HL is probably better. However, if you're edging towards the more pure side of Economics, HL Ec is definitely better.

In our Unis, B&M is pretty much useless, but then again there aren't many business courses, so...

I can't make the decision for you; think about which would be more suitable for what you have in mind after school. That's the best I can say.

look i am in IB1 and my choices are business and management hl and economics hl... i advise you to take economics HL rather than business because the business and management course doesn't have much recognition in universities. for example if there is student with a 7 in economics HL that has applied for accounting and finance and a student with 7 in business for the same subject in the same university they will prefer the first one. if you want to do accounting and finance you should definitely take economics hl and if you are good at maths maths hl as well to aim for the best universities. and if you want to know whether economics is more difficult than business, it probably is... the bad thing for business is that the material you will cover is huge!!!!

• Like 1