yr2007 paper 1 question!

jh1047

Hi, I was solving yr 2007 paper 1 tz2, and found a question that's extremely impossible to solve by hand.

It's question no.1 which states

The population of a city at the end of 1972 was 250 000. The population increases by 1.3% per year.

(b) Find the population at the end of 2002.

And I know that the correct formula is 250 000 x 1.013^30, but I thought it'd be okay to write as it is because it is paper 1. But when I checked the markscheme, I was supposed to write the exact value which is 368 318 to get the full mark.

So I tried to find any way to solve that manually, but I really don't think I can solve it without calculator.

I solved all papers form 2008~2011, but I found this particular year's paper really ridiculous as many of other questions in paper 1 were also very calculator-needed types.

PLEASE. SOMEONE. SHOW MERCY AND COMMENT! Thanks very much and good luck to you all.

Hi, I was solving yr 2007 paper 1 tz2, and found a question that's extremely impossible to solve by hand.

It's question no.1 which states

The population of a city at the end of 1972 was 250 000. The population increases by 1.3% per year.

(b) Find the population at the end of 2002.

And I know that the correct formula is 250 000 x 1.013^30, but I thought it'd be okay to write as it is because it is paper 1. But when I checked the markscheme, I was supposed to write the exact value which is 368 318 to get the full mark.

So I tried to find any way to solve that manually, but I really don't think I can solve it without calculator.

I solved all papers form 2008~2011, but I found this particular year's paper really ridiculous as many of other questions in paper 1 were also very calculator-needed types.

PLEASE. SOMEONE. SHOW MERCY AND COMMENT! Thanks very much and good luck to you all.

Usually on papers prior to the format change in 2008, you need to write out the method as closely as you can in order to avoid losing marks, but you would have done the final calculation your GDC. 2007 is actually quite easy though the format will really throw you off.