Any advice for the HL exam - I have 2 days until Paper 1

LoganD

I have gotten a pretty solid B for the year and my IAs have been strong, however I feel as though I have not retained a bunch of my knowledge from earlier this year in math. For the past 2-3 weeks we have been doing purely IB practice exams, however some of it seemed so far-fetched from what we have been learning in school I really think that I am screwed. My teacher, despite being a very intelligent man, has difficulties answering many of the later IB problems in the old exams, so I am losing hope in my ability. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for last minute preparations for the exam?

Thanks

Believe me, you are not alone! I have done all exams from the past 4 years (including November exams) and they do requires a lot of skills. Some questions are far-fetched from what I have been learning in school for the past two years, especially for paper 3 (Series and Differential equations, what a nightmare). Like you, I have gotten solid marks during semester exams, with a 17/20 and 18/20 in my IAs... but still, I do fear IB math exams on Thursday and Friday. I'll try to do my best, even though I'm pretty sure I'll never get a 7.

Here is what I have to say :

1) Know your IB math booklet by heart, it will save you a lot of time since the exams are long. Know all your trigonometric identities and don't be afraid to use them during exams, especially for integration. IB loves to use plenty of identities.

2) Revise how to use your Graphic Calculator for more complex operation like integrals, derivatives and summations. If you're doing HP3 on Series and Differential equations, know how to use recurrence relation for the Euler method;

3) Revise your trigonometric circle. I know it may sound stupid, but for Paper 1, you'll need to be as fast as possible for exact values answers. No time to draw a circle;

4) Know how to deal with Rest Theorem problem, there is always one in Paper 1;

5) And lastly, go to sleep early on Wednesday.

Hope it helped, and give them hell buddy!

Edited by iHubble
  • Like 3

Believe me, you are not alone! I have done all exams from the past 4 years (including November exams) and they do requires a lot of skills. Some questions are far-fetched from what I have been learning in school for the past two years, especially for paper 3 (Series and Differential equations, what a nightmare). Like you, I have gotten solid marks during semester exams, with a 17/20 and 18/20 in my IAs... but still, I do fear IB math exams on Thursday and Friday. I'll try to do my best, even though I'm pretty sure I'll never get a 7.

Here is what I have to say :

1) Know your IB math booklet by heart, it will save you a lot of time since the exams are long. Know all your trigonometric identities and don't be afraid to use them during exams, especially for integration. IB loves to use plenty of identities.

2) Revise how to use your Graphic Calculator for more complex operation like integrals, derivatives and summations. If you're doing HP3 on Series and Differential equations, know how to use recurrence relation for the Euler method;

3) Revise your trigonometric circle. I know it may sound stupid, but for Paper 1, you'll need to be as fast as possible for exact values answers. No time to draw a circle;

4) Know how to deal with Rest Theorem problem, there is always one in Paper 1;

5) And lastly, go to sleep early on Wednesday.

Hope it helped, and give them hell buddy!

Thanks a bunch, I will definitely take your advice. I already printed out the booklet, that is smart to memorize where everything is ahead of time. I wish you the best of luck as well, this will definitely be a challenging test, but I guess the good news is that Paper 3 is on Monday so we get the weekend to focus on differential equations.

Know how to use mathematical induction, particularly with matricies and trig functions. Even if you can't complete the problem, you should at least be able to net a few points showing P(1) is true. When concluding the proof memorize the statement "P(k+1) is true if P(k) is true, and since P(1) is true, by mathematical induction P(n) is true for all positive integers (or whatever you are asked to prove a statement for)."

For polynomials and remainders, look up synthetic division. It's a very fast algorithm that speeds up dividing a polynomial by a root.

Math Is just about practice !! this year it will be like last year exam .. gd luck

I realized that last year's exam was much more difficult than the previous ones...

Although not to a stage where I will be desperate..., it is still a concern....

well, finger crossed for brainstorming the answers in the 2hs given.