How important is your math mark?

supershivz27

Hi, I'm writing the SL Math exam (as many of you probably are) on May 3rd and 4th.

My question is - how important is this math mark for university? I'm a particularly weak math student, but my IA marks have been overall decent (level 5). I want a 6 or 7, but I'm never too confident despite studying.

Do universities still accept students who don't have an amazing math mark? Like a 4 or 5, for example.

Also, for people who have done the SL Math exam in previous years, how hard was it?

Thanks!

Do universities still accept students who don't have an amazing math mark? Like a 4 or 5, for example.

Absolutely. Chances for that are improved if you happen to get high marks in other subjects of course. Some universities may also stress the importance of math less.

It depends on what program you apply for and if math is a prerequisite for that program.

If math isn't required and it's not an extremely competitive program, then your math mark will matter much less or not at all. If math is required then it could affect your acceptance.

But seeing as you're from Canada, they will look at your percentage grade in math and probably won't care about your IB grade.

I know people who got 4s and 5s in math SL who have been accepted to a uni program where math was required, but they're not extremely competitive programs IMO. They're still good programs, but not that hard to get into.

How hard you find the math exam depends on your ability in math. I found it moderately hard, other people thought it was a joke, and a few found it very hard.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah you're kinda screwed.. but even a 5 or a 4 in Maths SL is better than a 6 or 7 in studies (as my counsellor said).

lol no it isn't. Don't be so utterly foolish. 40 with a 7 in Math Studies looks a hell of a lot better than 37 with a 4 in Maths SL especially for courses which require no maths. That's why maths studies was introduced...

Edited by cjy
  • Like 2

i want to go into the same program as you but i am not good at math ... so will that affect my chances of getting in ? am i screwed for life ? :'(

This thread is old. I suggest you make a new thread instead of replying to this one.

hahaha but there's a reason why some colleges (such as Erasmus University) require a 5+ in Math SL/HL but don't even consider students doing Math Studies, no?

Well, they don't have that maths requirements for all courses. And, top universities in the UK (Oxbridge included) won't care whether or not you have studied maths studies or maths HL, as long as you won't study anything relating to mathematics and that your total score is good. Thus, a 7 in maths studies would still be stronger than a 5 in maths HL.

The reason why some universities require maths SL/HL is often because the course depends on mathematics in one way or another, not that maths studies is a redundant and useless subject.

• Like 3

hahaha but there's a reason why some colleges (such as Erasmus University) require a 5+ in Math SL/HL but don't even consider students doing Math Studies, no?

Yes Erasmus University, that well known business, management and economics school. Of course it requires Maths, as the courses are dependent on mathematical ability. LSE require Maths HL for their economics course. LSE also do not care about what level of maths you have for a History course. You haven't even applied to university yet. I got into some of the top universities in the UK, if not the world, with Maths Studies for Modern Languages and History. Your teacher knows nothing if he thinks a 5 or 4 in SL is better than a 6 or 7 in Studies.

not that maths studies is a redundant and useless subject.

LIES!!!!!!!!

Arrowhead, I'm shocked :P

Yes Erasmus University, that well known business, management and economics school. Of course it requires Maths, as the courses are dependent on mathematical ability. LSE require Maths HL for their economics course. LSE also do not care about what level of maths you have for a History course. You haven't even applied to university yet. I got into some of the top universities in the UK, if not the world, with Maths Studies for Modern Languages and History. Your teacher knows nothing if he thinks a 5 or 4 in SL is better than a 6 or 7 in Studies.

Mate, you're looking at it strictly from the perspective of UK universities. The advice OP received about Maths Studies is perfectly logical and correct for Canadian and American ones though.

LIES!!!!!!!!

There's STANDARD and then there's studies...

(Click on the link in my sig if you don't get the reference: "You know you went through the IB Programme when...")

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

Mate, you're looking at it strictly from the perspective of UK universities. The advice OP received about Maths Studies is perfectly logical and correct for Canadian and American ones though.

LIES!!!!!!!!
There's STANDARD and then there's studies...

(Click on the link in my sig if you don't get the reference: "You know you went through the IB Programme when...")

See when I applied to the US I had little problems with having Studies. My friend is going to Georgetown with a 6 in Studies.

I got the reference :D