Portfolio Type 1 -- Parabola Investigation

mGlala

Hi

I did this portfolio last yr

and I kind of forgot the question

but looking back at what I did, I think in Task 2, u substitute the general vertex (-b/2a) into x value and then u can find the coordinate of the general vertex

after that, ull be able to explore more cases that have y=ax^2 + bx + c with the intersection lines y=x and y=2x with a>0

and then put the values (x1, x2, x3, x4, SL, SR, D, a) into a table and then u should be able to see some sort of relationship between D and a

hope this helps!

feel free to ask me anymore Qs if u want to

good luck!!!

hey guys...i´m halfway done with the portfolio...and now stuck on 5 and 6. Can anyone tell me the general terms that i need to put in...dont tell me the answer but just how many i need and what are they related to...if you feel comfortable giving me the answer cuz i just wanna make sure i get it right...send a mail in my inbox

hey guys...i´m halfway done with the portfolio...and now stuck on 5 and 6. Can anyone tell me the general terms that i need to put in...dont tell me the answer but just how many i need and what are they related to...if you feel comfortable giving me the answer cuz i just wanna make sure i get it right...send a mail in my inbox

The general terms would be the general formulas for the polynomials. Use letters instead of numbers for coefficients. You could basically choose any letter you want.

Q5 and Q6 seem to be a problem for everyone, I have an accurate conjecture for Q4, and I guess all I have to do to is squaring something, or multiplying by (n-1), n = degree of the polynomial, or perhaps raising my old conjecture: Abs((m2-m1)/a) to the power of (n-1), then it would be the same for parabolas and still change to a strange number, but I can't seem to figure which one to do because I don't know how to add or subtract x1,x2,x3,x4,x5 and x6. If someone who already finished told me how to find D in terms of their conjecture, or in terms of x1,x2,x3 etc. I would be extremely pleased because I've been working on this all night and I still haven't finished Q5, now that I look at the time I see that I'm almost screwed anyway because the portfolio is due in 5 hours.

Please help me! If nobody helps anyone around here, how can they expect to receive help when they need it? :)

I haven't guaranteed that this is the solution to D for 3rd degree and 4th degree polynomials but he really sounds like someone who would know and I just hope that if someone uses this, they will remember to help other people on this forum/webpage in return. Remember that the only way one can get help when they need it is by giving help when others need it... come on people, this is a circulation and I just joined today but it seems like most of these pages are filled with questions and no answers.

First of all, welcome.

Second of all, you're not suppose to be giving or recieving answers to any part of any math project.

The ony help we provide here is clarification of certain parts, help on some math concepts...etc. Basically, we dont provide help for those who only come on here to get stragith answers.

Oh, and I'm going to remove the answers you just gave because that's not allowed.

in my opinion...that was really, really stupid of you!...the reason why he put those answers there is because so people would know what the correct answer is and they would then try to solve themselves the question and would be able to confirm that they did the steps correctly because they know what the right answer is...it's not a matter of you just handing in the answers...it's a matter of you knowing how to do it. And for those who just copy and paste answers on their project...i feel sorry for you guys because you just wont learn how to do the assignment then...and if someone asks you how you got ...you're screwed. I think answers are for you to find out what the steps are to solving the problem.

We dont follow that policy. If you give someone the answer, they're going to get marks for it, a lot of marks in fact, which is not fair. It's not fair for the other students who didn't get any help, you cant get marks by taking answers from someone.

What if they dont know how to get those answers?! they're going to ask you for the method and how you worked it out, you're going to give! Then it would be an absolute chaos because technically you're solving the whole project for them.

In some cases, answers dont have to be the same, and if you give the answer and even a bit of explanation your work is going to be very simiral to the TENS of students who read this.

As you said there are people that just copy paste the answer which is exactly what we dont want happening.

If you don't like this policy go complain, for the time being, I'm following rules thats all.

First of all, welcome.

Second of all, you're not suppose to be giving or recieving answers to any part of any math project.

The ony help we provide here is clarification of certain parts, help on some math concepts...etc. Basically, we dont provide help for those who only come on here to get stragith answers.

Oh, and I'm going to remove the answers you just gave because that's not allowed.

Hehe good, because they were wrong :D I added another post where I only told the users how the author of the assignment got the instructions, so that they can use that method to obtain similar instructions for higher order polynomials, I hope that's fine otherwise I will be much more cautious regarding what I post in the future.

Regards,

just a guy who wants to help.

We dont follow that policy. If you give someone the answer, they're going to get marks for it, a lot of marks in fact, which is not fair. It's not fair for the other students who didn't get any help, you cant get marks by taking answers from someone.

What if they dont know how to get those answers?! they're going to ask you for the method and how you worked it out, you're going to give! Then it would be an absolute chaos because technically you're solving the whole project for them.

In some cases, answers dont have to be the same, and if you give the answer and even a bit of explanation your work is going to be very simiral to the TENS of students who read this.

As you said there are people that just copy paste the answer which is exactly what we dont want happening.

If you don't like this policy go complain, for the time being, I'm following rules thats all.

I totally agree with you Mahuta, and Saransh was obviously just protecting a friend because according to my interpretation of him, he doesn't like people that just copy/paste answers and don't even try to get any work done themselves. Yet there is always a time when you just can't figure out what you're working on, and although I'm top of my class in math I must admit that I probably wouldn't have solved this in time if it weren't for a little external guidance. In fact I wish there was a forum like this only for people who deserve the help, either because they happen to be bad at one subject (thus need help) while they're good at another subject (thus give help), but as far as I'm concerned there is no such forum (because I'm clearly new to forums and to receiving help from the internet).

Regards.

Ellibox: I deleted your last reply. Unfortunately we are a site that strictly follows IBO regulations when it comes to helping students. Giving out algebraic help as you did constitutes for malpractice, which will lead to both you and the students copying your work in not receiving a diploma.

While I can underline that as a fellow IB student, I fully understand the frustration of not finding the answer to a certain problem, it simply is not fair that less able students can receive extensive mathematical help from a website, thus leading to higher marks than they are actually capable of obtaining. I know this is cruel, but if a student is not capable of e.g. proving a conjecture, he does not deserve full marks for mathematical method just because he found the answer on the site.

• 3 weeks later...