History part B - Summary of evidence..help?

Jayesaphine

Hi guys, i literally only just set up an account and I'm not quite sure how to post thing and where, but I'm really struggling.

I've been on website after website and I'm still really unsure about what exactly should go into my part b of my historical investigation. I get that it's a summary of evidence and you have to 'prove the facts,' but in what format and how exactly? I've got one book on my topic, but do i just find documents or what?

Help would be much appreciated!

xxxxx

In Part B you list all of the relevant facts and figures. Don't worry about analyzing them, because you will do this in Part D. If you have ANY analysis in this part, save it for later. You can either write in bullet-form or in paragraph form. Either way, make sure you have correctly referenced everything and have enough evidence. Don't do Part B until you've found all of your sources, as this should be a summary across all of your sources. You've got one book so far, so try to find a couple more as well as some other documents, articles, etc. that may answer your question. One source is simply not enough for the IA.

Say I was doing my IA on the question "Did the Nazis hate Jewish people?" (which I'm not XD). I'll give an example on how to do both types:

Paragraph style:

When the Nazis came to power, several anti-semitic laws were passed. Examples of such laws included making it illegal for Jewish children to attend schools with German children and stripping them of their citizenship (Author 123). Hitler changed the school curriculums to include lessons that showed the burdens of supporting Jewish activities (Writer 999). Hitler and the Nazis also created anti-semitic propaganda (Writer 234). On one night in 1935 the Nazis damaged Jewish synagogues and burned Jewish houses in an event called Kristallnacht (Author 789). In addition, Hitler and the Nazis sent hundreds of thousands of Jews to concentration camps as part of the Final Solution to exterminate them from Europe (Writer 1234).

Bullet style:

- The Nazis passed anti-semitic laws such as making it illegal for Jewish children to attend schools with German children and stripping them of citizenship (Author 123)

- Hitler changed the school curriculum to include lessons that showed the burdens of supporting Jewish activities (Writer 999)

- Anti-semitic propaganda aimed at Jews (Writer 234)

- Kristallnacht (Author 789)

- Sending Jews to concentration camps (Author 1234)

As you can see both ways contain the same information and facts. Whichever you do is just a matter of preference. I personally did mine paragraph-style, but that's because I like my work to be formal and presentable and essay-like, and I didn't like how the bullets looked. But I know people that did bullets and scored well.

Also notice how I didn't analyze any of this. If I wanted to analyze these facts, I'd do it in Part D. I'd take each one of these facts and show how that proves that the Nazis hated or did not hate Jews.

Good luck on your IA!

:)

• Like 1

emyski: I sure hope you're not doing your IA on that subject! My friend wanted to do something like "how were the germans infuriated by the Treaty of Versailles 1919" and my teacher struck him down because you can't measure a person's infuriation!

emyski pretty much said it all, but what I did, and what might work for you, is write my analysis first, then put the facts I analysed into my summary of evidence. It sounds weirder than it was, but it really helped me make sure that I didn't confuse the two. Another thing I'd suggest is writing point-form if your teacher allows it, since my friend's friend (an examiner) says that those tend to score higher because there's more space in which to put facts. Then again, that's hearsay, and how reliable is that source? ;)

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I would do bullet points (and so i did)- it gives you more words for section D where things may get tight. Also make sure that you reference every single bullet point you make (every point you make must be relevant and come from literature, newspapers, documentaries, letters,...)

Use easybib.com for great mla referencing

• 3 weeks later...

Heya, check with your school to see if they have an account with Jstor or Questia.com. These are some resources in which you could look into the journal articles and books on your subject. Check googlebooks or google scholar too. They do have previews (sometimes quite a comprehensive preview) of related books.

Look for primary source documents (i.e. speeches, congress documents, white papers, interviews, memoirs etc) to support your thesis. Also don't forget to get a variety of sources (i.e. newspaper, journals, videos, books, interviews etc) for there is a component which rewards you for an extensive array of sources.

If you're looking at American history, there is an online archive (can't remember the link) and under the States' FOI act, anything that is older than 30 years would be declassified.

• 3 years later...

In Part B you list all of the relevant facts and figures. Don't worry about analyzing them, because you will do this in Part D. If you have ANY analysis in this part, save it for later. You can either write in bullet-form or in paragraph form. Either way, make sure you have correctly referenced everything and have enough evidence. Don't do Part B until you've found all of your sources, as this should be a summary across all of your sources. You've got one book so far, so try to find a couple more as well as some other documents, articles, etc. that may answer your question. One source is simply not enough for the IA.

Say I was doing my IA on the question "Did the Nazis hate Jewish people?" (which I'm not smiley_). I'll give an example on how to do both types:

Paragraph style:

When the Nazis came to power, several anti-semitic laws were passed. Examples of such laws included making it illegal for Jewish children to attend schools with German children and stripping them of their citizenship (Author 123). Hitler changed the school curriculums to include lessons that showed the burdens of supporting Jewish activities (Writer 999). Hitler and the Nazis also created anti-semitic propaganda (Writer 234). On one night in 1935 the Nazis damaged Jewish synagogues and burned Jewish houses in an event called Kristallnacht (Author 789). In addition, Hitler and the Nazis sent hundreds of thousands of Jews to concentration camps as part of the Final Solution to exterminate them from Europe (Writer 1234).

Bullet style:

- The Nazis passed anti-semitic laws such as making it illegal for Jewish children to attend schools with German children and stripping them of citizenship (Author 123)

- Hitler changed the school curriculum to include lessons that showed the burdens of supporting Jewish activities (Writer 999)

- Anti-semitic propaganda aimed at Jews (Writer 234)

- Kristallnacht (Author 789)

- Sending Jews to concentration camps (Author 1234)

As you can see both ways contain the same information and facts. Whichever you do is just a matter of preference. I personally did mine paragraph-style, but that's because I like my work to be formal and presentable and essay-like, and I didn't like how the bullets looked. But I know people that did bullets and scored well.

Also notice how I didn't analyze any of this. If I wanted to analyze these facts, I'd do it in Part D. I'd take each one of these facts and show how that proves that the Nazis hated or did not hate Jews.

Good luck on your IA!

:)

What about websites? whereas books you do (author 123)would you put (website) or (author) or maybe (article name) for web articles?

For your citations, that's completely dependent on the citation style you use! A lot of people use MLA, and then you'd use the author - same is with Turabian, which is what I used. You'll end up listing out the sources in Part F (unless you use Turabian, in which your full citation will be in the footnotes). In that case, unless there's more than one page, you'll just say (Author), unlike a book or journal, where you'd say (Author 22). If an author's name is not given, then I believe you'd go for article name, so ("The Best Article Ever").

You'll want to collect a wealth of sources for your Part B, and use them at about the same frequency - you'll lose marks if you only use 1 source! I'd get a good mix of primary sources and secondary sources. Again, like Emmi said, you want to stick it STRICTLY to objectivity in Part B - you'll have your change to analyse later in Part D. The format is up to you - if you can link things better in a paragraph, by all means, go ahead. But be vigilant about your word count. I allotted about 450 words for Part B and saved a bulk of the word count for Part D. I ended up having a total of 1,997 words (ironically, the year I was born).

Good luck on that IA!! Let us know how you feel about it. :)