IB MYP Personal Project

HiggsHunter

Today our Coordinator gave an interesting presentation on the PP for the MYP4 students who will be starting their projects next month. I learned that there is a new version of the PP Guide this year, and among the changes from previous years students must select only one of the 5 AOIs instead of several. He emphasized that each of the 7 assessment criteria are worth 4 points, which means that things like the Process Journal (recording the story from seed to Outcome) get just as many marks as the Outcome itself.

The nice thing about the PP is that you have a completely free choice of the subject, so you can choose something about which you are (or can be) fairly passionate. The supervisors can make suggestions for changes, but finally the student is solely responsible from start to finish. The activity kicks off with a PP Workshop that will be held next month at a mountain resort operated by the school. We were told that at least part of the research phase should be done during the summer vacation, and the Outcome should be completed by year-end to allow time to complete the Reflection task (also worth 4 points) in January.

There are 7 PP supervisors, handling 4 - 6 PPs each. To decide whom they will supervise, they review the project proposals anonymously (although I suspect that they would have a good idea about who is proposing what!) and select them according to their own expertise. For IA, all the supervisors mark all the PPs and then discuss the differences to reach a consensus.

MYP5 students at the school showed us the PPs they have just completed, with Outcomes ranging from anything from a documentary video and a historical WWII website to studies of nuclear power and sexual abuse and a musical score for an orchestra.

Edited by Higgs

MYP good old times.... :)

the personal proyect is fun! the hardest thing to do is to choose the topic. start thinking on it!

The personla proyect is a good preparation for the Extended Essay

ps to the moderators: this is not the first myp post i see, why don't you make an myp forum??? many of the IB students were MYP before, so they could help MYPs in thing like their personal project

• Like 1

Thanks, marauder7. I'm glad you enjoyed your MYP years and had a fun PP! I think it's nice when older IBS members offer a welcome and some positive encouragement to younger ones at the MYP stage. Many of them are future DP candidates, after all!

Although it's natural for everyone to spend most of their time looking forwards, I'm sure that many members at the DP level could offer very useful advice to those still in MYP. And they might also have some interesting tales to tell, especially if they followed the MYP route themselves!

Having a separate sub-forum for MYP matters could be a great idea, although it would probably take quite some time for activity to build up. Perhaps there are not many MYP student members of IBS at present. But when young visitors discover the board, more of them might join in if they find that there is a specific corner for discussing their interests.

MYP good old times.... :)

the personal proyect is fun! the hardest thing to do is to choose the topic. start thinking on it!

The personla proyect is a good preparation for the Extended Essay

ps to the moderators: this is not the first myp post i see, why don't you make an myp forum??? many of the IB students were MYP before, so they could help MYPs in thing like their personal project

Well, it is IBSurvival, not MYPSurvival. :P I see exactly what you're saying, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming pressing need for an MYP forum since there's very few people on here in MYP. Plus a lot of the content on the site is geared specifically towards IB subjects. I did MYP myself and I'm not trying to rag on you in any way. I'm just saying that usually people in MYP still have quite a ways to go before actually being in IB, so enjoy it before the IB apocalypse comes and don't worry!

Just my two cents, I'm not a mod/admin so...

wow, people overseas seem to take the MYP quite seriously to where i came from! this may be because we were also marked against our local BOS and so no one really fussed over their personal project.

a lot of people found the PP annoying, but i found it qite fun! the annoying part is the reflection, because at my school, there really wasn't much insight into why we had to do the PP in the first place.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your MYP PP activity, and good luck with your exams in November!

At the local private IB school here, only the MYP and DP syllabi are taught at the secondary campus, but of course students are free to sit additional exams outside the school if they wish. Some students return to the state school system after they have gained their MYP Certificate, because the fees rise quite steeply for the two DP years (in addition to the diploma-related costs of CHF 2500, payable at the start of DP1). In order to do that, they have to take a special "Examen de retour du privé" to determine which of the three different state school academic streams they can join.

In the same way, some IB DP students at the school also take the bursary competition exams of selected universities in the hope of winning a good scholarship. The school is non-selective, and in May 2010 the DP students obtained IB Diplomas with an average score of 33.5 points. (The average score worldwide was 29.55). The highest score of 44 points at the school was obtained by a student of Italian origin who has gone on to take medicine at Glasgow University. He got six 7s but dropped a point on the core subjects.

Finished with my personal project this Jan. Insane fun :) the silver lining in the rain cloud that is now my igcse exams :(

Here's the song I made

Probably the hardest part is choosing your final topic, that took me a month, then i began to work on two topics and finally dropped the one i didn't like. If anyone wants i can put up the guides and stuff that we got.

An excellent project! But (in spite of the note about fixing the audio) I'm hearing some distortion on audio peaks on the YouTube video.

Yes, please upload files of the PP documents that you received. Where are you located in India?

Thanks :) Didn't get around to fixing all the audio, no time now, IGCSE mock exams start next week :(

I'll upload the documents and put the links here :D

I'm in mumbai, the only place worth living at in India.

Thanks :D Oh cool, you've come to india. Yeah, the monsoons is one of the best times to see India's countryside. Everything looks so lush and verdant... and clean XD

I've uploaded the guides here:

USE THE IBO GUIDE RELIGIOUSLY and make sure you cover each aim as thoroughly as possible. I got full marks in each criteria except reflection and got a 7 with the highest marks in my batch -- 27/28 :D

As well as the IBO "MYP: From principles into practice" document, I've now uploaded to the Files section the IB MYP subject-specific guides for Language A, Language B, Sciences, Maths, Humanities, Technology, PE and Arts.

I've also uploaded the corresponding IBO Teacher Support Material documents for each of these 8 groups.

• 2 weeks later...

One more tip for the personal project,

If you've done DT in school (I think its required by the MYP) or even ICT, the personal project is a lot like using the design cycle (investigate, design, plan, create evaluate) for your own project.

If you're good at DT/ICT for paperwork at least, you will do fairly well in the Personal Project.

As well as the IBO "MYP: From principles into practice" document, I've now uploaded to the Files section the IB MYP subject-specific guides for Language A, Language B, Sciences, Maths, Humanities, Technology, PE and Arts.

I've also uploaded the corresponding IBO Teacher Support Material documents for each of these 8 groups.

I have now uploaded these files, as well as some others, to the new "Pre-IB/MYP" files section that has been created for them. However, I have been unable to delete the duplicates that I previously uploaded to the "Other IBO documents" section. Perhaps someone with the necessary privileges could do that?

I have now uploaded these files, as well as some others, to the new "Pre-IB/MYP" files section that has been created for them. However, I have been unable to delete the duplicates that I previously uploaded to the "Other IBO documents" section. Perhaps someone with the necessary privileges could do that?

Just go to the original files (the ones you wanna delete) and hit the report button under them.

In the report you can just type Duplicate file and give a link to the new file. Mods will handle the rest.

Thank you for your suggestion, Ishaan. However, I do not see any "Report" button under the files, only under messages posted to the forums.

oops sorry, you have to click the "is this file broken?" link.

Unfortunately I don't see an "is this file broken?" link either! I would presume that such a link would be available only after downloading a file, but can you give more details of where it is to be found?

Thank you!