Individual Oral- do's and don'ts?

Guest Linnsan

Guest Linnsan

Next week I'll have my individual oral in French which I'm pretty nervous about since the fluency of my language isn't ... good lol.

I've written a whole script I'll try to memorize till then so I won't have to get stuck on formulations and such when having it.

So to my actual question. Any do's and don'ts for the individual oral? Tips of what to do and such?

I've written a whole script I'll try to memorize till then so I won't have to get stuck on formulations and such when having it.

DO NOT memorize your French oral. I repeat, do not memorize it! If you lose your place during the oral (which may happen) then you'll have no idea where you left off and no idea where to start again because you will remember only the words, not the general idea. You won't get to take your script in with you anyways as you're only allowed to have 10 points according to the IB (whether your school actually follows this is another story...) Even if you phrase your general idea in a different way, it will be fine, as long as it's comprehensible. What is better is to have a list of the things you want to say during your oral.

You've already finished writing your script in advance, so just practice saying your oral out loud. If you can, get someone to ask you questions about what you said to practice answering on the spot for the second part of your oral.

Don't stress out before you go in! Just relax. Don't be like me and practice so much that you lose your voice after the oral -_-

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could give you a recording of my French oral, but I have no idea what I've done to my script. Essentially, my teacher allowed us to memorize a 2-3 minute speech about a topic... but she did stress on the fact that IB likes students to speak French spontaneously, meaning that you didn't memorize your entire presentation. In doing so, you're showing IB how well you can communicate in French when your teacher asks you questions, and when you're expected to come up with your answers then and there.