Hi people of the ib diploma,

I have to choose my subjects soon and so far I think I want to choose

Music HL

Biology HL

Group 3 subject HL

English A Lang&Lit standard

Frenach ab initio

Math Studies/Standard

Thing is, I'm not sure about the group 3 subject or which math I want to take. I'm planning to have a career in psychology, the human mind, or with disabled people and am unsure what the best options might be.

I should mention that I'm average at math, but do not enjoy it. Also, the group 3 subjects provided by my school are Economics, Business Management, Environmental Systems & Societies, History, ITGS, and Geography.

Thanks for any responses :D!

I think it depends on what you enjoy learning better. Some of my friends chose History, because they didn't like Economics or Business-related stuffs. (Our school provides only three Group 3 Subjects: History, Econ, Business). And, you should try taking Math SL at first. If you feel like it's too difficult for you then you can go to Studies afterwards. But of course, you should also check the prerequsites for Psychology and the universities you want to apply for. From what I've just googled, in the US, what you take in IB doesn't really matter for Psychology major. But I think you need at least a Math SL if you're going for the UK universities. But I'm not really sure, so you should try doing some research yourself! :) Hope this helps!

Here is the source: http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uploaded/images/Dover_-_Senior_School_Portal/files/University_Pre-requisites.pdf

• Like 1

Which one of the Group 3 options do you enjoy the most at your school? This way we won't be the ones picking your subjects for you, and you won't hate it with a passion. :)

And because you're taking Biology HL, there shouldn't be any problems applying for a Psychology degree in the UK. (And less so for US colleges.) But do your research! My knowledge is very limited on psychology university courses. Where are you thinking of applying to?

And for maths: I'd choose Standard first, and if you find you aren't coping, or just severely dislike what is being taught in SL, drop to studies. You never know that you are able at a subject until you do it! And it's easier to go from Standard to Studies rather than vice versa.

And from my knowledge, this is how I understand geography and history: geography there are many case studies (how many, I'm not sure, but I don't think as many as psychology) and geography will be split into human and physical geography. History, depending which history you take, and be History of the Americas and I'm not quite sure what the other options are.

In the end, it's your choice; take what is right for you, and what you will enjoy or what you can cope with!