photosynthesis IA help

Didenur

I am doing a IA on the effect of presence of light on the rate of photosynthesis for biology HL I took 2 leaves and put one of them in dark while the other one was under light then i measured their weights. But im not sure if this experiment is acceptable since I don't know how to process the data shell I change my experiment? :S

• Like 1

you should try some more variables ligh and shadow for only one kind of leaf is not enough,

try varyables like the type of plants or temperatures

you can also use a whole plant and then extract the chlorophylls to quantify them using the spectrophotometer or you can check the change on glucose, but these are like more complex

anyway you can keep on your light/shadow experiment as long as you use a good quantity of variables

you could use different types of plants, for example one that needs too much sun, or less sun, or too much water, and so on

The experiment makes sense but it's really vague. There are too many things that effect the rate of photosynthesis besides light. If you are going to use this, your evaluation section will be like...4 pages.

If I may suggest, 'Factors affecting the rate of transpiration' is an easy one to do. The IA is below take a look at it, it may give you ideas.

Plants- Complete.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to weigh the leaves then place them in glasses with water and place one in dark and the other in light then for 5 days I will weigh them and note down the increase in weigh. I believe that this increase in weigh will be due to starch produced in the leaves which indicates the presence of photosynthesis.

Maybe I should work on a different experiment :/

• Like 1

What plants are you using? This is what I did for my IA using a water plant called Elodea.

I cut one section of the plant (still able to photosynthesize), put in a test tube (or some plastic tubes, preferrably with volume markings) filled with water, and put a cap on it so nothing leaves. Oxygen will be produced as gas bubbles, and I simply read the volume of the produced gas.

You could try this, and expose the tubes to lightbulbs of different Watts. :)

• Like 1