help with my math studies internal assessment?

Justine Kim

my topic was is there a relationship between GPA and the amount of time spent on social networking sites(facebook, twitter, and etc). however there was no relationship. is that okay?? i remember my math teacher saying you could try seeing if there is a correspondance and im worried that he meant that i shouldn't do the topic if there is no relationship???

• Like 1

Guest Mohammed Rahman

my topic was is there a relationship between GPA and the amount of time spent on social networking sites(facebook, twitter, and etc). however there was no relationship. is that okay?? i remember my math teacher saying you could try seeing if there is a correspondance and im worried that he meant that i shouldn't do the topic if there is no relationship???

Yes, it's completely fine if you found no relationship. In fact, I think it's better if you haven't got a relationship between the variables as you'll have more to write about in the validity section regarding possible errors and ways to improve. Alternatively, you could just go back and try different mathematical process and go from there.

:)

Yes, it's completely fine if you found no relationship. In fact, I think it's better if you haven't got a relationship between the variables as you'll have more to write about in the validity section regarding possible errors and ways to improve. Alternatively, you could just go back and try different mathematical process and go from there.

so then what processes would i use? would i use linear regression line and see how it looks on the graph along with the scatter plot and then do pearson coefficient to reinforce that there truly is no relationship??

would it also be possible to use chi square analysis if i were to have the data of 100 people and wrote what their GPA and amount of hours they spent on social networking sites was?

it is ok as long as the variables are not too different, like comparing literacy rate and temperature.. it is pretty obvious that they are not related at all XD

so, as long as your variables are involved in the same matter and you can justify your results there should be no problem..

and also I think you can use chi-square.. I am comparing GDP and imports, I am going to make a scatter plot, chi-square test and I am not quite sure yet but I am planning on getting a table of expected values as well

Guest Mohammed Rahman

Yes, you could use both regression analysis and Chi squared tests. Those, if done correctly of course, should give you a good base of analysis and things to talk about. For regression just plot GPA against amount of time spent on social network thingys. And for Chi squared tests, you might want to take a boundary to split your data into two groups. So, your two columns would be for example, ' >50 hours spent on fb' and 50+ hours spent on fb'. And do the same for GPA. Decide on a boundary and split your data.