Not having a clue what I would like to do at uni, seriously, not a clue. Help pl0x?

Jellyio

Hi,

topic title says it all I think. I would like your suggestions on subjects to do at uni.

I've been told by my head of sixth a few weeks ago that, based on my report and my ALIS test, if I wanted to, I could get in to Cambridge or Oxford.

And he asked me to think about what I would like to do at uni, because he knows that I don't know what I want to do as a job or at uni.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to knowing stuff about unis.

I very much enjoy languages, but what career options does this give me?

Music and dance are pretty much my life, but that's something that will always be a hobby I think.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO :(

For Sandwich :) :

HL: French

History

Psychology

SL:

Environmental Systems and societies

Maths Studies

English literature

Edited by Jellyio

Hey :)

Since you took HL psychology, french and history, I think you would have a best bet getting into a Psychology BA program. Plus you will also be recognized for being bilingual (Even better since its French and English). You also have a good bet in law too.

Look into universities and see the prerequisits for some of their programs, you could check out their options of FIELDS OF STUDY lol. Think about what you love to do too, because in the end I don't think you want to end up in a job you totally hate for the rest of your life... :P

hope it helps :lol:

I think the best way to find out what exactly you want to do later in lafe is to get some experience in the fields you're interested in. This experience could be a part-time job, volunteering, taking up a new hobby, or anything that will give you exposure to your chosen field. So if you're interested in languages, you could try tutoring French to your classmates to see if teaching French would be something that you enjoy, for example.

It's OK if you don't know exactly what you want to become, but you should have an idea of what field you want to go into. Life happens and it may throw opportunities at you that you never thought existed. Maybe you'll get offered an internship with a company and you'll discover that you really like it! Even if not all the opportunities that come your way result in a future job, take it as a learning experience (plus, at least you will eliminate something that you don't like as much which makes it a bit eaiser for you :P )Take the opportunities that you get and make the most of them.

The best way to learn is by experience. Merely saying "I think I like X" will not suffice! You have to try it to see if you like it or not.

what's your strongest subject?

what's your favourite subject?

what classes do you enjoy the most?

any noticeable keenness since you're young?

what do people say you're good at?

what do teachers think you're good at?

I'd suggest you to take some "What major should I take?" tests. there are some online tests and these are worth taking at this point methinks.

then, try to download Oxford and Cambridge prospectuses and see the course content for the majors you're interested in. if you think those modules don't interest you, then cross it off your list!! if you think those modules seem okay to you, keep it on your list. if you think those modules seem interesting to you, put a star next to it so you can "rank" your major choices and see which are most suitable to you. make sure you also read the course description and career opportunites, these will help you choose better.

after you come up with a rank list, go and see your counsellor at school or your homeroom teacher or your teacher for the subject on the top of your list. ask them if they think you're suitable for that course, ask them what it's like..

also talk to your parents and friends, they might have some suggestions since they know you well too.

last, follow your heart. at this stage you might not be 100% sure yet of what to choose so keep your list thingy in case if in the end you decide to change your mind.

PS. if you decide to apply to Oxford, contact me or Cynthia we will try to help you as much as possible :)

Hi!

If you are interested in languages you could do something like: Tourism, Hotel Management, Translation, etc. You could also be a teacher if it interests you.

You could also consider the option of taking a sabatical year while you decide...

unfortunately Oxford doesn't offer these courses, and I doubt Cambridge offers these either.

• Like 1