What do Canadian Universities See?

Deja Wu

I'm interested in applying to Waterloo next year for engineering and the requirements for most of those courses are: 2 Maths, Chemistry, Physics, English. At the bottom there's this note: Admission averages are based on previous years' entering classes. Your admission average is calculated using your top 6 Grade 12 U or M courses, or equivalent, including all required courses.

I'm not sure what that means, and my biggest concern is my French mark. It's not the greatest and I'm worried that it'll affect my admissions.

That is probably a general note for all programs at Waterloo. Your admission average is the average of your best 6 university or mixed courses at the grade 12 level. Given the information, they will need 2 maths, english, chemistry and physics. Those are required, and you cannot replace them, and they are already 5 out of your 6 courses. Whatever other 12U or 12M course you will take can be the 6th course. For example, if you are taking French (I know) and another course, such as history or economics, etc. (as you should be) the course with the better mark will be used in your top 6.

Don't worry, most engineering programs at Waterloo require like a low to mid 80 average... stuff gets converted in IB so you'll be fine :lol:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As the end of Year 1 gets closer, my parents get really stressed and prefer to listen to friends of theirs instead of me and the Waterloo website. So I have to ask, since IB marks aren't received until after the IB exams in May of Year 2 and university applications should be filled out around november-december, how will universities see my Grade 12 IB marks instead of my Grade 11 marks? Also on the Waterloo website: http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/international.php?id=7 it mentions something about my IB marks. But as my parent's friends have told them, universities look at my grade 11 marks, not my grade 12.

Universities will be able to see your grades in semester 1 final and midterm semester 2 marks when you apply to university next year around Nov-Dec. Based on those grades, they will choose to send you an offer of admission, which is usually conditional. They are not going to be looking at your grade 11 marks if they are considering your grade 12 prerequisites.

As for the IB marks, they probably require a 5 in math, physics, english, chemistry, and one other course. So make sure you score those on your predicted; that is probably what they are looking for.

Just adding that if your grade 11 marks are very good then they may offer you a place even before receiving your grade 12 marks. So your grade 11 marks do matter if you want early admission. Otherwise, just do well in your grade 12 courses and you still have a high chance of getting in.

So your parents aren't completely wrong; they do consider your grade 11 marks but only for early admission. Once early admission time has passed, they won't care about grade 11 anymore and will focus on grade 12.