Physics Component for a Plants G4 Project?

wooshamoo

Guest Positron

This is a very random idea. Maybe you could somehow study the way plants "carry themselves" (=stay upright), have they always been like that (=has the structure evolved over time) and if you take a look a the structure from a physics standpoint, is it a good/best way to support the plant. I don't know if this is a good topic, but maybe it'll at least give you some ideas..

Edited by Positron

Well, there is a lot to do here. If you're telling me that the topic is vaguely just about plants, then I guess I can give you some random ideas. Since you've got Biology students, I'd say you do this: you can measure the rate of photosynthesis of a specific plant by the measure of absorption of sunlight. For example, place layers of glass for each different plants of the same kind and see the difference in the rate of photosynthesis... I assume the plant behind the most glass would have the lowest rate. For physics, obviously, you can figure something out, or it does not have to be that practical. How about how light cannot penetrate that far, or the measure of wavelength according to some other measurement. Be creative!

This is a very random idea. Maybe you could somehow study the way plants "carry themselves" (=stay upright), have they always been like that (=has the structure evolved over time) and if you take a look a the structure from a physics standpoint, is it a good/best way to support the plant. I don't know if this is a good topic, but maybe it'll at least give you some ideas..

yeah you're right, phototropism would be a good one. With what I said, you can also measure by how much the plant shifts its stem to gain more surface area for sunlight. I've seen people do it before :D

One idea I haven't seen anyone do is the effect of music on plants... It could be that the wavelength affects the plant somehow... Measure stuff about the plant, the amount of oxygen produced and the amount of CO2 given out. The pH of the soil, ect.

Edited by Jirashimosu
Please do not make 3 different consecutive posts, but merge them.

Guest Positron

One idea I haven't seen anyone do is the effect of music on plants... It could be that the wavelength affects the plant somehow... Measure stuff about the plant, the amount of oxygen produced and the amount of CO2 given out. The pH of the soil, ect.

I have, although not as a Group 4 project. They're called Mythbusters :D They tested it with positive&negative speech and classical&rock music. It's quite a long time since that episode aired, but I think rock worked the best... Anyways, here's link