Private Tuitions-What's your opinion?

Guest The Guardian of Asgard

Guest The Guardian of Asgard

Hey guys! so here in India private or group tuitions are quite the fad at least with the state board, I for one look down upon this 'practice' I mean FCOL tuition are only for those who can't push themselves to study! and often their teachers prepare them in marks oriented manner, so even if they score more than you in tests and exams they air-heads when it comes to application. What's your say?

Guest Jar Jar D'oh!

I'm surprised you didn't take heed of the last comment before you posted that. That makes it abundantly clear that I wasn't sure of the topic myself, so go ahead amuse your self trying to understand it.

• 1 month later...

I think it can be really good for a topic like Language B where a crappy teacher and REALLY basic knowledge of the language can make it near impossible to self study. Also things like pronounciation are annoying to self study.

But for math and science, in general, I see no real need for tutors unless you are doing work above and beyond the standard syllibus. Even then, if you are hardworking and dedicated enough, you can self study.

For example, I have a crappy computer studeis teacher now for my IGCSE so im stuck self studying the entire textbook. Or I picked separate sciences at IGCSE while school offers only coordinated science so I have managed to self study all the portion with a lil help in some chapters from school teachers.

For the non academically gifted, i.e. more into arts and stuff, tutors who teach "the exam" are a boon as they get to focus on their passions rather than waste time on academics that are irrelevant for them.

Thus, i feel tutors are needed on a case by case basis.

Yeah, I take tuition classes in Delhi. :P

But only math. I suck at it and I need help in it. My teacher's great, its just that at home I don't have access to him. (I'm in Boarding school :P)

So yeah. its no big deal to take it anyway.

There's nothing wrong in having private tuitions :) it just means the student is having trouble grasping something and needs the extra help:) it doesn't mean they're an airhead, they may be bad at one subject but strong in another. I guess it just depends on the student. I personally, would love to have the extra help in every subject...getting good grades is a must for me, so having extra help makes total sense to me:)

I paid £25 per hour for about 5 hours of Chemistry tuition when I realised we were never going to cover the HL syllabus in lessons. It really helped me out A LOT. Seriously loads! I used to go to my teacher's house because by coincidence she lived in the same town as me, despite it being a small backwater place and my school being elsewhere. Convenient :yes: She actually had a doctorate in Chemistry and had been a teacher of A Level Chemistry so she really knew what she was about.

It depends a lot between countries I guess. From what I know most people in bombay atleast pay (assuming 1 rupee is 50 us dollars) around 1500-2500 dollars for a years worth of classes in a subject.

I would assume that there are cheaper tutions available though. Also, most people take it in groups of 2-5 so that the cost is split up.