Need help with Chi-square

mobelle

So I am doing a basic project on how valid BMI is and I am therefore looking at correlation between height and weight and also seeing if there is any major difference between females and males. So I have all my data but now, when I come to the Chi Square part (which my teacher told me to do) I am completly lost.

All the examples in the book of how to create the table of observed data and calculating the expected values are of data that is discrete, while mine is continuous. I understand that I have to reorganize everything into discrete data and so I did that by instead of having all my results lined up like height and weight, I have to calculate how many are below, for example 77kg and how many are above 77kg (that is the number I get when adding the max weight of both females and males and then dividing that by two).

So the problem I have is that I have ZERO clue about how I am supposed to create a contingency table of this... what is supposed to be on the other axis?? HELP PLEASE! :(

/Moa

Okay so I figured it out but in case anyone in the future is having similar problems this is how I solved it.

I changes the continuous data into discrete data by taking the highest and the lowest result from my raw data. In my project I am looking at the correlation between height and weight so if we look at the weight this is what I got:

Highest weight out of participants: 109kg

Lowest weight out of participants: 45kg

109+45= 154

154/2= 77

And thus I use 77 as the middle value and so in the contingency table, the left columns will be:

<77kg

>77kg

And then I did the same thing for height and got the top columns to be:

<176cm

>176cm

Then I simply counted how many people from my study fit into what column;

Column 1: Below 77kg and below 176cm

Column 2: Below 77kg and above 176cm

Column 3: Above 77kg and below 176cm

Column 4: Above 77kg and above 176kg

Hope this was helpful and if anyone have any more questions or if my description was unclear just email me or something!

/ Moa

Email: [email protected]

Okay so I figured it out but in case anyone in the future is having similar problems this is how I solved it.

I changes the continuous data into discrete data by taking the highest and the lowest result from my raw data. In my project I am looking at the correlation between height and weight so if we look at the weight this is what I got:

Highest weight out of participants: 109kg

Lowest weight out of participants: 45kg

109+45= 154

154/2= 77

And thus I use 77 as the middle value and so in the contingency table, the left columns will be:

<77kg

>77kg

And then I did the same thing for height and got the top columns to be:

<176cm

>176cm

Then I simply counted how many people from my study fit into what column;

Column 1: Below 77kg and below 176cm

Column 2: Below 77kg and above 176cm

Column 3: Above 77kg and below 176cm

Column 4: Above 77kg and above 176kg

Hope this was helpful and if anyone have any more questions or if my description was unclear just email me or something!

/ Moa

Email: [email protected]

^Forum rule to not post your e-mail publicly...unless they changed it recently. Just PM it to him/her :)