Possible to self-study a subject?

Hazel16

At my school it is kind of possible, as long as your school supervises your ib extra stuff like IAs

and you can attend the exam at their centre... you can contact IBS

IBS lol it's IBO XD

You can't self-study, but you can arrange your school to offer it and they may have fewer classes etc.

Further Maths is good to 'self-study' since it has no IA.

BTW, how do you have 5 HL's?

she does one online :yep:

snapback.pngAvan:), on Jan 23, 2012 - 21:19, said:

At my school it is kind of possible, as long as your school supervises your ib extra stuff like IAs

and you can attend the exam at their centre... you can contact IBS

IBS lol it's IBO XD

lol, that just proves my addiction. yeah, my bad i meant IBO : the actual international baccalaureate organization, which is the reason for the absolutely vital existence of IBS ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does IB allow students to self-study subjects when their school does not offer the subject?

I'm pretty sure it's not allowed except for some languages, but I want to make sure.

I really want to do Further Mathematics >_<

In my school you can take subjects online (pamoja education) perhaps you should check that out. Personally I feel like I study all of my subjects ''at home by myself'' since I don't really get much out of lessons, so I would be surprised if you couldn't somehow find a way to self-study a subject at home, since you already need to be super disciplined to be in IB anyway..

• 2 weeks later...

These are two distinct schemes:

1) A student can request that their Language A1 be "School supported self-taught", either because no teacher of their language is available at all, or because an external teacher is not in a position to do the IA. This is only possible for Language A1, and only at SL. A fulltime Language A1 teacher at the school has to take supervisor responsibility, especially for the world literature component of the study.

2) The IBO started pilot trials of a few online diploma courses in 2004, and in 2010 signed an agreement with Pamoja Education to develop and deliver these courses. For 2012-2013 Pamoja offer 12 courses, timed for the May exams:

http://www.pamojaeducation.com/

It was planned to increase the number of courses to 27 by 2015, and to 70 or more by 2020. Fees are around EUR 700 per student per annum, plus VAT where applicable.

The IB school has to have a "Site-based Coordinator" who is trained by Pamoja.

• 7 months later...