Lab design - bucket with hole and pipe

Sairoo

Hi!

So my physics teacher told me to make a physics design and then perform the experiment this coming tuesday. Problem is, I was assigned this plastic bucket with a hole in the bottom and a pipe attached to it. I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

oh!

I know this one!! You can change the diameter of the hole (if possible :S) and then measure the rate of flow each time

and you will definitely find a pattern..

Procedure:

In this lab we are going to experimentally determine cross-sectional area of a hole drilled in a bucket that will be filled with water.

Each group of three-four students will need the following equipment (there are only four buckets):

• one bucket
  • 5 meter sticks
  • one stop watch

At some point, you need to make the following measurements of your empty bucket:

• height of the bottom of the hole above the base of the bucket (cm)
  • height of each liter making above the base of the bucket (cm)
  • diameter of the hole (centimeters to at least one, preferably two decimal places)
  • circumference of the bucket at the 2-liter mark (cm)
  • circumference of the bucket at the 8-liter mark (cm)
  • circumference of the bucket at the 14-liter mark (cm)
  • height of outside bench (cm)

When we go outside, you will fill your bucket up to the 14-liter mark. Make sure that the hole remains covered until you are ready to start the experiment. Place it on a level bench - the bucket must NOT be slanted.

When you are ready to start timing, you must immediately also be ready to place the meter sticks on the ground to mark the range of the water as each liter mark is reached. Remember to get the original 14-liter range when the hole is initially uncovered. [if you wish, you may place a litter more than 14 liters in the buckets and start your timers and range measurements when the water level first reaches the 14-liter mark.]

Remember that the water will have a parabolic trajectory and will splash, so you need to quickly ascertain its range when each time is called. After measuring each range, you can then pick up the meter stick to use for another timing mark.

Someone needs to watch the water levels and tell the timer and the range-finder when to record their measurements.

You will run the experiment five times, each time filling the bucket up to the 14-liter mark and then emptying it. Each run will have its own independent timing and range data.

Source: http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=2&filename=Fluids_FluidFlowRates.xml

use it as a guide, and try not to plaguiarize lol :D

Edited by Avan:)

I am doing my lab report now which is also a design lab, only its has to do with the rate of flow of water and the factors that influences that. However, I've been told that when graphing, I cannot turn in a curved slope, but that it has to be linear? is this correct? Do I really have to change the graph to become linear? If so, does anyone know how? I am plotting volume (dl) against time(sec)