Italian B self taught?

Hi, so I have a question (obviously :P)

I'm going to go to IB next next year, and I need 3 higher level subjects, I already know I want to take german higher and art higher, however, I need a third one, but none of all my other subjects allow me to pick it higher.

See, my father is german, so I obviously speak german fluently (that's because I've been to a german school) and my mom is italian, but I cannot speak fluently, so the question is:

Are you allowed to take a language B higher that is SELF TAUGHT (my school doesn't offer italian) ? Do you need a tutor (is it compulsory)? Does the school pay this tutor (it's an international-IB school)

And finally, do you think it is manageable to take italian b higher?

Thank you so much guys!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly suggest you not to :)

Italian is my first language and i was pushed harshly by my school to take italian A1 self thought (even though i was totally capable of doing english A1).

I understand that you might think that doing italian B will be easier however it is not. Speaking german you should be familiar with the challange a grammaticly rich language puts you in. Self thought is HARD, seems easy but it will take much of your time and will put you in a situation where you invest your time in one subject instead of the others. Also there is no real advantage of taking italian B self thought, you will not be getting a bilingual IB diploma and it willl just drive you mad. If your mother is a teacher or you can find a real italian teacher wherever you live that will invest time helping you (and probably you will have to pay) then yes it's a good idea. However if you don't want to waste further money and time i strongly suggest you to choose another subject.