How is CAS 'marked' in the end?

Guest Another IB Victim

Guest Another IB Victim

Over the period of time that I've been on the IB, I've heard a million different opinions on CAS and its completion. Some have said "F it, CAS is bull----, they'll just sign it off" and others (mainly teachers) stress it's importance.

Now I'll be honest and say I've barely done anything. Well, I've done a decent amount. I don't know how things work but my teacher has spoken of sending 'it' all off to Geneva where it's checked and they decide whether you pass or not. I've also heard that its the CAS co-ordinator that signs the final thing.

How on earth is CAS "marked?"

Over the period of time that I've been on the IB, I've heard a million different opinions on CAS and its completion. Some have said "F it, CAS is bull----, they'll just sign it off" and others (mainly teachers) stress it's importance.

Now I'll be honest and say I've barely done anything. Well, I've done a decent amount. I don't know how things work but my teacher has spoken of sending 'it' all off to Geneva where it's checked and they decide whether you pass or not. I've also heard that its the CAS co-ordinator that signs the final thing.

Our CAS coordinator told us that she'll be the one who decides wether we passed CAS or not. Though there is some fixed amount of people who have their CAS moderated every year, but it's a small amount.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CAS is taken very seriously at my school. I'm in Ontario, and we need 50 of each C/A/S as well as 40 obligatory service hours required from any Ontario high school. We need to fill out forms and have them signed by the CAS coordinator BEFORE we actually do it, then fill out reflection forms afterwards. Paperwork is extremely important. CAS really isn't hard to do as long as you fill everything out properly- all you have to do is work it in to your daily life :) without fulfilling the CAS requirement, you won't get your diploma- it is not essentially "marked", but it has to be completed to graduate from IB.

• 2 weeks later...

At my school we have CAS-forms where we have to write about what we did in detail and what we learned and how CAS-criteria is achived. There is also a form that the CAS activity leader have to sign and answer questions about what you did, how many hours you completed and how you developed.

Than our CAS coordinator collects all the papers and determines whether they are okay, and I think some randomly chosen ones may be sent to the IBO.

Our CAS coordinator told us that she'll be the one who decides wether we passed CAS or not. Though there is some fixed amount of people who have their CAS moderated every year, but it's a small amount.

well that is exactly what our CAS coordinator said...she also said she has to call two supervisors to confirm and actually go to one or two of ur activities...thankfully she always goes to MUN with us so thts covered...