Applying for US universities and scholarships

junjiro

Good morning,

I am a peruvian student of the IB. I'm planning to study computer science in the USA, but I don't have an economic status as high as for paying for a university, that's why I am looking for full scholarships.

Do you know about organizations that give full scholarships? What should I have for applying for those scholarships? Should I apply for SAT exams too?, or is it enough with IB scores?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I only know one organization that give full scholarships to study in the US to Peruvians:

- Fullbright: http://becas.fulbrightperu.info/

But I suggest you take a look at the university websites, and see if they offer scholarships for international students.

Yes, you you will have to take the SAT to apply to the US. Don't forget to see if the university requires a minimum SAT score.

Good Luck ;)

Hey it depends where you are applying, the better the university the more likely they will be able to support you. Good public and private universities would support you with need based financial aid which can see you paying next to nothing for your entire tenure. Or you can be offered merit based fanancial aid where as long as you do well they will support you.

My advice research to which universities you'd most likely want to go to and take the SAT its crucial depending on where you apply ivy league Cal Tech Stanford usually require 2000-2100 on average. Go to www.collegeboard.com for more information and register there for your SATs if you don't have a USAeducation embassy in Peru. This link has a lady from yale I even met her in person here in little old third world Zimbabwe she basiacally says most things you need to know about applying to good expensive universities even with $0 or $9493923. link:

i hope i've been helpful

HL

Chemistry

Biology

Business Management

SL

Maths

French

English

Edited by Kudzai Mukaratirwa
  • Like 1

I just don't get people who say that they need scholarships but they're applying to the US. you know, you need to take SATs if you wanna go there and they're not cheap. especially that you need to take it a few times to get the best score. surely if you're rich enough to take SATs for a few times then you won't need a full scholarship. (I'm not and that's why I'm not applying to the US)

I think Hull University gives full scholarships, but it's a business school. and there's also NYU in Abu Dhabi but not sure if you wanna go to Abu Dhabi.

one thing though, if you're smart enough, it's easier for you to get scholarships because people are more likely to fund an intelligent person's study than a moron's study.

if you're interested to go to other countries I can advise you on available full scholarships.

Edited by Desy Glau

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't get people who say that they need scholarships but they're applying to the US. you know, you need to take SATs if you wanna go there and they're not cheap. especially that you need to take it a few times to get the best score. surely if you're rich enough to take SATs for a few times then you won't need a full scholarship. (I'm not and that's why I'm not applying to the US)

I think Hull University gives full scholarships, but it's a business school. and there's also NYU in Abu Dhabi but not sure if you wanna go to Abu Dhabi.

one thing though, if you're smart enough, it's easier for you to get scholarships because people are more likely to fund an intelligent person's study than a moron's study.

if you're interested to go to other countries I can advise you on available full scholarships.

Actually, I know quite a few people (internationals) that have gotten scholarships in the US and have very average SAT scores.

That said, I do agree that applying to the US can be expensive. You have to pay for everything - from taking the test, to sending scores to sending the actual applications etc. Although if you prove that you need aid you can also get the SAT registration fee/the application fee waived.

My advice would be to look at public/state schools or the very very top private schools (which are need blind, and can be extremely generous when it comes to offering financial aid, you only need to prove to them you need it), depending on just how good your grades and SAT/ACT scores, of course. Do not bother with private schools at the medium tier, because applying for financial aid as an international will be practically impossible, even if you are an exceptional applicant. They are often not need-blind, or need-blind to US applicants but not to international applicants, and so you could be rejected just because you are asking for financial aid.

As for organizations, I know about Questbridge, so look it up and see if you qualify (i.e. comparing your grades and level of income), but I just noticed its only useful if you apply to Brown, Princeton, Yale, and Pomona (other colleges linked to Questbridge don't consider international applicants).

Basically, if you are really determined to study in the US you need to start researching straight away and looking at universities' websites and seeing which scholarships they have. Are you into sports because you could try for a scholarship for that? There are many types of scholarships, some for leadership etc so look around. Start by where computer science is known to be a good course and then it will be easier to narrow down, I guess. You also need to start studying for the SAT/ACT, and remember that there is a lot of material online that can be used to prepare for it.

Hope this helps!

Edited by ShootingStars