What is a CAS project?

Your school should have informed you about this properly as it is a key component in order to attain your IB diploma and succeed in the program. CAS involves creativity, action and service. While you are doing your IB diploma, you also need to do CAS! Basically, this means that you have to do extra-curricular activities and it can involve many different aspects and activities. Your school should have some activities that you can choose. In my school we have soccer, gymnastics, MUN, Habitat for Humanity, students helpings students, cooking, creative writing, UNESCO, Ryan's well, yoga and many more. But you need to fulfill requirements of action, service and creativity!

If you play for instance basketball in your spare time you might choose to do it as a CAS project. In order to complete CAS successfully, you need to log everything you do and for how many hours you have done it. However, for may 2013 candidates, the emphasis is not on the number of hours but the diversity, involvement, process, engagement and personal response to your CAS project. What have you learned after this activity? How can this activity benefit you later in life? If you google it you will find a much more comprehensive explanation to what CAS is, but your school and CAS-coordinator should be helping you with this process. We had an entire day devoted to CAS. My CAS projects so far have been:

Yearbook

CAS project in Moshi Tanzania

Nordic MUN

MUN in school

Habitat for Humanity fund raising

Student council president

THIMUN (January 2012)

Hope this was helpful, let me know if you need any more information.

• Like 2

Your school should have informed you about this properly as it is a key component in order to attain your IB diploma and succeed in the program. CAS involves creativity, action and service. While you are doing your IB diploma, you also need to do CAS! Basically, this means that you have to do extra-curricular activities and it can involve many different aspects and activities. Your school should have some activities that you can choose. In my school we have soccer, gymnastics, MUN, Habitat for Humanity, students helpings students, cooking, creative writing, UNESCO, Ryan's well, yoga and many more. But you need to fulfill requirements of action, service and creativity!

If you play for instance basketball in your spare time you might choose to do it as a CAS project. In order to complete CAS successfully, you need to log everything you do and for how many hours you have done it. However, for may 2013 candidates, the emphasis is not on the number of hours but the diversity, involvement, process, engagement and personal response to your CAS project. What have you learned after this activity? How can this activity benefit you later in life? If you google it you will find a much more comprehensive explanation to what CAS is, but your school and CAS-coordinator should be helping you with this process. We had an entire day devoted to CAS. My CAS projects so far have been:

Yearbook

CAS project in Moshi Tanzania

Nordic MUN

MUN in school

Habitat for Humanity fund raising

Student council president

THIMUN (January 2012)

Hope this was helpful, let me know if you need any more information.

That's really helpful thanks! So how does a CAS project differ from general CAS hours??

• Like 1

You're welcome! Well a CAS project is the actual activity you are doing, such as soccer or Model United Nations. In my school we just call it CAS activity, while CAS hours means how many hours you have spent on a specific activity, and you should log this! As a small rule, you should aim to have around 150 - 200 CAS hours in total. However, CAS is something you either pass or fail, it's not like you get a better grade if you do many hours!

Some projects might last for an entire year, meanwhile, other activities might only be a weekend or so.

• Like 1

My school's definition of a CAS project initially was an activity that combines 2 of the CAS areas and takes up a signiicant amount of times (more than 20 hours).

An example of one would be learning a skill (for example,quilting) (creativity) and then teaching that skill to people who could use it to improve their lives ( unemployed and under-privileged people.Other people in my class planned charity concerts,horse-riding events and art exhibitions for the benefit of particular causes.

:)

When I read that you have your activities at school...

We have to go somewhere after school (and I come back home 7pm, 7pm, 5pm, 5pm without any activities). Pay for this.

Oh, and I'm kinda screwed. I have to hand my CAS diary with at least 30h on Friday. Well, I think I'm gonna make those hours up somehow, but quite alot of writing awaits :/ (and I still have to write and learn my OP on Wednesday :P).

As to my project, I thought about organising an action of writing letters/postcards to ill (cancer etc.) kids.

• 2 weeks later...

In our school, our CAS projects have to include at least two of the aspects. We use managebac to log in our CAS hours, but our coordinator is kinda loose on how our reflections should be. I heard from one of my friend that she has already 80 reflections uploaded on there already. I'm just wondering, how should we write CAS reflections? Should it be a bunch of really lengthy ones for each activity?