IA question help

kim luffy

Hey guys. So i just recently dropped down to Maths Studies and the teacher never explained how to do the IA and just gave us some papers which do not help at all! I've been going around the forum but i can't seem to see anything that would help with finding a good research question. So here i am fishing for some questions to do and these were the ones i came up with.

WARNING: they are really crappy so i'm all for the criticism.

1. How does listening to k-pop (or other different languages) affect our knowledge of other cultures?
  2. How many hours in a day do you listen to music and how does this affect studying habits?
  3. Does playing a lot of sports affect grades?

I really like the last one about the sports. Is it okay if i use does instead of how? If i do happen to choose the third one, i was thinking i'd divide it into gender, types of sports played and the final grades each gets? Does that sound okay? And i'm guessing i have to conduct a survey? I'm so clueless right now :eek: Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

Hey guys. So i just recently dropped down to Maths Studies and the teacher never explained how to do the IA and just gave us some papers which do not help at all! I've been going around the forum but i can't seem to see anything that would help with finding a good research question. So here i am fishing for some questions to do and these were the ones i came up with.

WARNING: they are really crappy so i'm all for the criticism.

1. How does listening to k-pop (or other different languages) affect our knowledge of other cultures?
  2. How many hours in a day do you listen to music and how does this affect studying habits?
  3. Does playing a lot of sports affect grades?

I really like the last one about the sports. Is it okay if i use does instead of how? If i do happen to choose the third one, i was thinking i'd divide it into gender, types of sports played and the final grades each gets? Does that sound okay? And i'm guessing i have to conduct a survey? I'm so clueless right now :eek: Any help will be gladly appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

1. You need to quantify both of those variables...somehow.

2. You need to quantify "studying habits" somehow. Maybe jut hours of study?

3. You could easily do hours of sports vs gpa for this.

The question you are looking for needs to compare two quantifiable variables because the point of the IA is to test the relation between two variables.

You should also keep it narrowed to two variables and control the others instead of trying to relate 3+ variables. For your third idea I would definitely keep gender constant. I'd also maybe keep the grade somewhat constant, maybe just a small range because usually upperclassmen study more simply because the classes are supposedly harder and they have learned that they need to study.

And I'm going to leave this here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/13797-a-detailed-guide-by-criteria/

In case you haven't seen it.