Scared of Math tests

Fani

From my experience, the key to mastering the maths syllabus is doing as many past papers you can. Even though I did maths HL, I'm pretty sure this applies to all levels. The past papers will help you not only with the issue of time during the exam, but also prepare you for some exercises that repeatedly come up on the final exam. Practice makes best and maths is easy, you just need to be confident.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

You will most likely have a LOT of math quizzes/tests/open-book assignments over your duration of studying IB Math. It's is perfectly normal to be nervous for a while but eventually, you get used to it and just stop worrying. The reason why our teachers shove so many quizzes down our throat is not only to ensire you know, understand, and are able to demonstrate your knowledge of the material but to get you to adjust to the stress involved in doing so. As you psychologically adjust to writing so many quizzes, the stress involved in doing so will slowly mitigate. When it comes to the IB exam, sure you will be stressed but because of the crapload of quizzes you wrote, you won't be AS stressed as you would be if you didn't write all those quizzes.

• 3 weeks later...

After more and more (and more and more, etc.) quizzes/tests are taken you'll get more and more used to the format/difficulty. I would recommend practicing as many problems as you can, past papers are better if you can get your hands on some. It's normal to be a bit scared of quizzes and tests (especially for math!) but don't let the stress cause you to have a panic attack!

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing to do is to get as many past exams as you can and do the questions. This will help you to become familiar with the format and type of questions. When you get to a question that you don't understand, do as much as you can and then peek in the mark scheme and learn.

Another thing you can do is on a weekend, go to a library or somewhere quiet with a past exam paper that you've never peeked at and do a mock exam. Set a timer for 90 minutes and don't look at notes/the mark scheme until you're finished. Score yourself after with the mark scheme and correct any mistakes.