Gender and preferred sport

cjedd27

I am just beginning my internal assessment assignment for my Math Studies class. We chose topics last week, and I chose to determine whether there is a relationship between gender and which sport they prefer to watch. Is this a good topic? bad topic? thank you!

I am just beginning my internal assessment assignment for my Math Studies class. We chose topics last week, and I chose to determine whether there is a relationship between gender and which sport they prefer to watch. Is this a good topic? bad topic? thank you!

How many options of sports are you going to be looking at?

Probably 5: Baseball/softball, volleyball, football, soccer, hockey

Do you recommend having more? I'm going to use a chi squared test to determine whether they are related.

Hmmm... I don't quite get how this is going to work. Won't you just have a bar graph for each sex?

Probably 5: Baseball/softball, volleyball, football, soccer, hockey

Do you recommend having more? I'm going to use a chi squared test to determine whether they are related.

Hmmm... I don't quite get how this is going to work. Won't you just have a bar graph for each sex?

I was planning on creating a matrix with the columns being the sports, and the rows the genders, and then putting the number of who prefers watching each sport inside the matrix. Then I would find the chi squared value and compare it to a level of significance( I'm not sure which percent yet) to determine if I will accept or decline my hypothesis.

Does that sound right? I'm not sure, my teacher hasn't really helped us with our project or given us feedback at all on anything.

Edited by cjedd27

actually it's a quite popular topic. so you can't really say it's not a good topic.

@OP you may want to also ask how many hours people spend doing sports in a week. or also how much money they spend for training or sportswear etc

Unfortunately someone else in my class is doing preference in which sport they like to play, so I have to test which sport they like to watch.