What defines intelligence?

Colleenyyy(:

After participating in many discussions in my Theory of Knowledge class, and reading through some of the general forums posted here on IBSurvival, I've found myself asking the question of: What defines intelligence? I do know that each persons perception differentiates upon experience, and I know that I have my own opinion, but I'm very curious to know what you guys think. :hmmm:

Google defines it as :

Noun:

• The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills

I think is basically the efficiency of the brain, and how fast it works to solve, answer etc... An intelligent person is not one that gets top grades in tests, but one that does it with least amount of work and effort, and the shortest period possible..

Thats the misconception.. Tests certainly don't define intelligence, as they only ask about very few things..

a person may fail any of these tests may may know far more.

like famous people like einstein may fail any of these tests but they a lot more about the universe inside their head and we can't test that understanding.

to me, intelligence is how much of knowledge your brain contains, without you having to memorise/study first.

if you memorise all the materials before a test, and you get a good mark, you're not intelligent.

but if you do not study at all before a test, and you get a good mark, you're intelligent.

what about those people that blank out on tests..like me im good t taking tests in math and science but when it comes to Spanish i blank out. if it wasn't a test but like a homework assignment i would do good without look at notes and stuff but on a test something just happens and i crash

we know nothing for certain that's what tok has taught me :P

I think it's just your ability to understand things rather than learn them all the time. I don't think just because you've learnt something before a test it doesn't make you intelligent... not everyone has the same memory.

Although I do think that's where the education system fails It's based less on understanding more so learn and repeat

ps IQ tests don't define intelligence just thought I'd put that in there

Edited by AHiddenName

ps IQ tests don't define intelligence just thought I'd put that in there

if taken seriously, I think IQ can show your level of intelligence.

IMO IQ tests rate only a particular type of intelligence - your ability to complete IQ tests.

I think they do say something about a person, but at the same time IQ tests don't always correlate with a person's 'other' displays of intelligence, for instance academic grades (you can achieve high grades and have a high level of understanding but yet be bad at IQ tests), practical/physical intelligence or common sense.

Perhaps they're a better guide of intelligence in certain areas than others. For instance I think it plausible that IQ tests roughly correlate with mathematical intelligence, but perhaps not other fields.

Although I may be somewhat biased in this. I have a population average IQ - I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel like I should be a little bit above average just based on other things in my life. So I guess you could say that it's a sop to my self-esteem that IQ tests shouldn't 100% reflect IQ!

Although I may be somewhat biased in this. I have a population average IQ - I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel like I should be a little bit above average just based on other things in my life. So I guess you could say that it's a sop to my self-esteem that IQ tests shouldn't 100% reflect IQ!

I think that you got weird results only if you didn't take the test seriously. assuming the test centre marks the paper or calculate the figures correctly, that is. retake the test and perhaps you'll get a different result?

I think that you got weird results only if you didn't take the test seriously. assuming the test centre marks the paper or calculate the figures correctly, that is. retake the test and perhaps you'll get a different result?

IQ tests are outdated in my opinion. To me app they do is pad the egos of those who do well and depress people who do poorly.

You require a range of tests to determine someone's intelligence. why do you think they no longer use the whole 'if you have an IQ under 70 you're mentally retarded' which then makes you not as responsible for your crimes

IQ tests are outdated in my opinion. To me app they do is pad the egos of those who do well and depress people who do poorly.

You require a range of tests to determine someone's intelligence. why do you think they no longer use the whole 'if you have an IQ under 70 you're mentally retarded' which then makes you not as responsible for your crimes

so then why do they call this test Intelligence Quotient Test? why do schools encourage students to take this test? why are those offices not sued by the government? why do people pay for such an unreliable test?

IQ maybe doesn't test you intelligence but it dose test some part of a human brain.

what about SAT's and ACT's do they test intelligence?

i think they just test how prepared you are for a collage but not intelligence...cuz you can study for it and it has tricks you can use...

same with the IQ, maybe doesn't test you intelligence but it dose test some part of a human brain.

what it you put all different tests and find a why to combine the scores wouldn't that kind work?

so then why do they call this test Intelligence Quotient Test? why do schools encourage students to take this test? why are those offices not sued by the government? why do people pay for such an unreliable test?

I think they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

No school I know of has ever recommended such testing.

Why should they be sued? you don't apply for a job using your IQ do you?

Why do people pay for anything? It's a matter of opinion as to whether they are faulty or not.

Why is a pc called a pc when it can be shared? (dont take that seriously lol )

Hm....found this post interesting. So, thought I might share my opinion a bit....XD

Answering the original question, personally, I think Intelligence is the ability of the brain to use whatever little you have to come up with something new which is brilliant/useful/etc. (so if one is stranded in the middle of a desert island, someone intelligent would be able to use whatever little they know they have to survive (I don't know...make a fishing rod out of branches and long, thick leaves?)). It is the ability to take in raw information, however little, and use that to figure out a new concept, method, idea, etc.

As a result, I don't think tests (IQ, included) tests one's true intelligence. Most of the tests are just regurgitating information or just showing that you can think a certain way (but is it the best way). I've seen some of the most intelligent people I know fail. Why would they want to think using some institute way when they have their own brilliant mind? Also, I've known some people ace projects and are creative problem solvers, but freeze up during tests. Perhaps, a little psychology is involved....

I think they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

No school I know of has ever recommended such testing.

Why should they be sued? you don't apply for a job using your IQ do you?

Why do people pay for anything? It's a matter of opinion as to whether they are faulty or not.

Why is a pc called a pc when it can be shared? (dont take that seriously lol )

well in most private schools here, all students in grades 7 and 8 need to take an IQ test. sometimes grade 10 also.

then, there's this scholarship from Singapore I think and as a part of the admission process, we needed to take an IQ test. surely they only want the above average applicants, no? which can be determined through the IQ test.

I've heard about IQ test being used for a job/uni application, read a thread somewhere in TSR. can't remember though :/

now then do you all think the IB exams really measure your intelligence? I don't think so, but it's sad because it's one of the most crucial factors in determining whether we get into a top university like the Ivy League or Oxbridge. especially in the UK where there's no standardised tests like SAT or ACT. it might be able to give the rough idea on where you stand but it doesn't precisely tell you where you are. I mean someone getting 45 and someone getting 24 you'll see the difference, but someone getting 35 and someone getting 36? I don't think it means the 36 one is more intelligent than the 35 one.

Well just to stay on topic, I think that what defines intelligence is the size of ones cranium. Let's look at history's greatest geniuses...

Well Einstein is the only one that I can think of but he had a large head and was very very intelligent!

David Cameron has a MASSIVE FOREHEAD a lot of people think he's quite foolish :P of course I joke that had little to do with what you said

What about resourcefulness does that make a person intelligent?