Moderation in History

Guest ybscrewed

I don't know how you would define "harsh"

It would depend on your teacher's expectation for you. Your teacher may mark you really high which means when it comes through moderation and they mark you down low, that would be "harsh".

But considering History marking is very subjective (as is with most Group 3 and A1 marking), yes you're standing a likely chance of being moderated down.

Guest forsakendarkness

Generally the moderators are okay in history, at my school they only moderated the whole classes' marks down by one mark, whilst in other subjects we went down by more than one mark.

I would say that the moderators will be pretty much the same at marking, all teachers and moderators etc. have to go on a weeks training at least to learn how to mark to the IB standard so it should be fine; neither harsh nor generous.

I wouldnt say that SL marking is any more generous, it may just seem so because after all the SL students are studying the subject at a lower level than HL. Don't compare chemistry to history either as the marking is bound to be different; the marking will be to a standard that fits the subject type.

Of course your going to get discrepancies every now and then but it should not affect your overall grade, unless your teacher has marked too nicely or too harshly.

One reason that the moderators may be marking generously for SL is that teachers are marking SL students to the HL criteria, but i really don't think that this would be the case in most situations. Also if a moderator seemed to be marking harshly then it could be because the teacher had been marking the student to an easier level, in the case of a HL student perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AirRon23

I agree, usually when HL and SL classes are taught by the same teacher at my school, the teacher tends to pick a grading level closer to the appropriate SL level, and HL's are often marked down, thats what happened to my History IA.

• 2 weeks later...
How do all of you know whether your history IA were moderated up or down? Our history teacher has told us that she's not supposed to tell us our IA marks.How do all of you know whether your history IA were moderated up or down? Our history teacher has told us that she's not supposed to tell us our IA marks.

Well my teacher wouldn't tell us before we got the actual results either but he did afterwards, in like July. I suppose the reason he did was that he was astonished at how much m IA was moderated down. Apparently he gave me a not-so-low grade like the rest of the class and I got moderated down to the lowest in the class (low 6) while everyone else' grade stayed pretty much the same (low 7). >.< So he was confused about that and that's why he told me. I suppose if my grade wasn't moderated he'd had said that was what he expected and have done with it. :D

• 1 month later...

Our teachers have told us that we will be seeing our predicted marks and then our final marks later on. Our IB coordinator has told us that so far only a few students have had their marks lowered after the exam but not in history, but it might be because our IB program is only 3 years old.

• 8 months later...

As for how harsh or how generous different subjects are moderated it deffinatly depends on the teacher. If your teacher marks you eassily, then you are likely to get moderated down, mean while if your teacher marks you very 'harshley' you are likely to find your marks being moderated up. Generally teachers should try to mark you as accuratly as possible so that you your marks won't go too drastically either way.

Mind, i always prefer if my teacher marks us harshley because it always feels good when the marks get moderated up :( .

So yeah it really depend on your teacher and how accuratly they are marking. For, example our biology teacher hardley ever get's his marks chaged when they are sent away to be moderater, but in last year's ecosystem's class some of the people who thought they were getting band 6's and 7's ended up getting pulled down to 4's and 5's!!!

:)

-soph x

-oh and yes, i agree that history in particular is a very subjective subject to mark

good luck