Should parents have to have a license to have children

Access Denied

China's regulation of reproduction is proving to contribute to social instability as the gap between female births and male births widens.

How is it contributing to social instability? I also do not see how the gap is widening...

In china, abortions and vasectomies are free (according to a documentary I once watched). This means people, once finding out they have a female instead of a male, may be more likely to abort it, as females are seen as a loss of money. I'm pretty sure this is where the social instability comes from.

EDIT: As for the gap "widening" I'm not sure about. I haven't exactly been following the demographics of China anytime recently :P

Edited by TurtleR

China's regulation of reproduction is proving to contribute to social instability as the gap between female births and male births widens.

How is it contributing to social instability? I also do not see how the gap is widening...

In china, abortions and vasectomies are free (according to a documentary I once watched). This means people, once finding out they have a female instead of a male, may be more likely to abort it, as females are seen as a loss of money. I'm pretty sure this is where the social instability comes from.

EDIT: As for the gap "widening" I'm not sure about. I haven't exactly been following the demographics of China anytime recently :P

My mom told me that they aren't allowed to find out the gender of the baby in China, but sometimes doctors are bribed. There are also "traditional" methods of finding out the gender of the baby based on superstition. Last time I checked, the ratio of male to female is around 120 to 100. This is quite significant, even considering the fact that more males are naturally born than females.