IB: Subject Help!

LMaxwell

If you are leaning towards Biochemistry or something along those lines, then I would suggest keeping Biology HL and Chemistry HL.

If you were doing 4 HLs, I would definitely tell you to change something, but you're doing 3 HLs. Just because you happen to be doing two sciences together doesn't necessarily spell out failure.

Economics SL is VERY easy, and so is French SL. I am terrible at french, and I managed to get a level 6. If you used to live in France, it should be even easier. I wouldn't suggest going to French HL...just because you know the language well doesnt mean you will do well in IB French HL. It might be easier to read and speak, but it doesnt = a level 7. Also, if you want to go into biochemistry or something along those lines, wouldnt it be best to prepare yourself really well for the future instead of taking an easy course that you don't learn much from?

Also, I take Chemistry HL. True, its hard, but you just need effort. If you have both sciences as HLs, but remain committed, you'll do fine.

Although if you have the option, change HL english to SL english, and change SL economics to HL economics. I take both HL English and HL Economics. This is just a personal view, but I found Economics HL to be easy, but English HL required much more effort. If you are naturally good at English, then don't change. But just to add to my point, economics also has more applications in real life.

• Like 1

If you really have the time, and are a model student, figure out what you really want to do later on in life, and if it involves biology, then take bio HL. Knowing an extra science will certainly help you later in life than to know nothing at all, being fluent in a language you already know. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but if you have the ideal work habits, you will be able to get past any obstacle. If you feel lots of pressure and are struggling, I'd take the easy way out. Chem HL is pretty tough for me, there are a lot of concepts to grasp and memorize. Bio as you learn from IB1, was a lot of memorizing and note-taking, but if you feel confident, then it shouldn't stop you.

However, if you take a look at your post-secondary options, some universities will favour certain subject choices, and some will give scholarships to students with x amount of points, etc. So really be aware of your current scenario and how things are in your life.

English HL is really not that bad. All you need to do is learn how to speak fluently and recognize literary devices, and know how to communicate clearly in writing, which is a simple format. As long as you can do that, English HL is a walk in the park.

• Like 1

why do people never indicate the language level? at first I assumed you took English A and French B, then you said you used to live in France and you talked about English B. which ones are you talking about???

since you are considering studying biochem, I suggest you to take:

Biology HL (must)

Chemistry HL (must)

Mathematics SL

Economics SL

French B HL

English A Lang&Lit SL

I think it would be a lot easier if you are scared of taking 2 sciences, assuming you are fluent at English and familiar with English Lit.

since you used to live in France, French B HL should be a piece of cake. don't do English B if you can do English A, it's going to make your application process a lot easier (no need to take IELTS/TOEFL, etc).

2 sciences at HL is not THAT bad especially that you want to study biochem i.e. you must have some kind of inclination towards biology and chem i.e. you are good at the aforementioned subjects. my ex is taking math, phy, chem all at HL and is surviving... you can imagine how difficult it is... yet you are complaining with only 2 sciences. it's okay!! I assume you can memorise a load of bullshiz though because those two subjects need heavy memorising, not to mention you need to understand them.

• Like 1

Well I'm just starting IB1 aswell. I have almost every class the same as you! That's awesome! The only different thing is that I'm doing World Geography HL instead of economics sl.

It kind of worries me that you're so worried about the schedule that's almost the exact same as mine!

The only thing I am worried about is chemistry. I wouldn't worry about biology though, I've heard it is a lot of just memorizing.

Hey I take the same subjects as you XD

Taking two sciences at HL isn't impossible. Most people at my school take two science HLs. Some people even take math HL on top of that and they are still alive :P So if it's what you really want to do, then do it! Plus it will help you for biochemistry. If you are thinking of biochemistry I don't recommend that you switch to bio SL. Take bio HL, it will help you more.

English : I'm not really sure what a B in English lit or an A* in English language means in relation to IB since I didn't do GCSEs. Apparently English lit prepares you really well for IB English (or so I've heard) so it shouldn't be too bad. I didn't take English lit but English A1 is OK, just make sure that you actually read the books lol. Look up sample essays and take note of the form, the language used, etc. and it will get you used to writing in an IB style.

French : If you lived in France and speak French fluently, it would be easier to take French B HL and drop English to SL. Just make sure you know the format for your orals and exam papers. Even if you are fluent you can lose marks if your formatting is incorrect so watch out for that. Otherwise it should be a walk in the park.

Bio : Bio requires a lot of memorizing. There are a few things that you have to understand and not just memorize but the majority of it is memorizing. But even if your memory isn't that great (like mine) you can survive, it will just be a bit harder.

Chem : Chem is more about understanding than bio. There is some memorizing though. If you make an effort to understand, you will do fine.

Economics : It's pretty straightforward. The concepts are usually easy to understand, and the IAs are not difficult. They are changing the syllabus for economics for 2013 exams though, and it is becoming a bit more mathematical. I doubt the math would be very complicated though. I found that economics tends to get boring, but a lot of people in my class liked it and maybe you will too.

Math : It depends on how much math you did before IB. Some things in the syllabus will probably be review but most of it should be new. I had to do my homework religiously to understand what was going on because I'm not very good at math :P If you try your hardest to pay attention, ask for help when you are stuck, and practice you should be able to get a good grade.

:gluck:

• Like 1