Subjects for higher level.

Alex .

I have decided that I will not be taking higher level mathematics as it is not a course requirement, this leave me with an open place for another higher level subject.

The subjects that I can choose from are:

• Language A1
  • Psychology

I am not sure on which will be better to take at higher level, please could you help me by giving your honest opinion on why I should or shouldn't take one of these at higher level.

Edit Below

I have never done psychology before, whilst doing GCSE's I have enjoyed English but I am not sure how much harder it will be from GCSE to IB; from SL to HL.

Sorry about the lack of information before. Hope that is enough just ask if you need to know more.

Edited by Alex .

It depends on what you want to study as well...so what do you want to study at uni? Apparently English A1 HL is an easier subject if you live in the UK so I would take advantage of the upper hand you seem to have already :P Also English isn't really seen as a soft subject. You get to analyze some interesting stuff. I honestly find English to be one of the hardest subjects but it's also fun and a nice break from my science HLs XD

If you really can't stand literary analysis and if you're super interested in human thought processes and stuff like that I would say go for psychology. I can't comment much on it but it seems interesting, I would have picked it as a group 3 subject if my school offered it. I'm not sure about its reputation though among universities.

I want to ask you first:

which subject do you like more: literature or psychology?

which class do you enjoy more?

which one is more helpful for/related to the course you want to study at uni?

if you know any graduates from your school, which class have more 7s in the previous years?

which of the two teachers are better?

why do you want to take them at HL?

when answering these questions you'll probably be able to answer your question yourself :)

• Like 1

With the complete lack of information here, it isn't possible to encourage you either way. What are your interests? Which "Language A1" are your pursuing? English? Polish? Hindi? Russian? French? Any idea of what you want to study at Uni? Any idea of what interests you more: memorisation or BS-ing essays? Do you like reading for long periods of time? Do you like obscure books that you would rarely read otherwise? Any mre information to offer about yourself to help people help you? Do you want details of what these subjects are like? What advice do you want?

It depends on what you want to study as well...so what do you want to study at uni? Apparently English A1 HL is an easier subject if you live in the UK so I would take advantage of the upper hand you seem to have already :P Also English isn't really seen as a soft subject. You get to analyze some interesting stuff. I honestly find English to be one of the hardest subjects but it's also fun and a nice break from my science HLs XD

If you really can't stand literary analysis and if you're super interested in human thought processes and stuff like that I would say go for psychology. I can't comment much on it but it seems interesting, I would have picked it as a group 3 subject if my school offered it. I'm not sure about its reputation though among universities.

I am aiming to take life sciences at Warwick university, either Biomedical science or Biochemistry, the course requirements are only HL biology and HL chemistry if I want to do Biochemistry. What I am not sure about is what I should do as an optional higher level subject, as neither will affect the course I would like to take.

If either doesn't matter, then if you can memorise easily, take Psychology. All there is to do is memorise blindly and spew it out. English A1 is about BS-ing your essays and developing a certain set of skills to answer and write said essays and commentaries. Its about practice and perfecting a technique more than anything. Both are pretty easy.

• Like 1

Personally, I would take psychology but only because it seems more interesting to me. Language A1 is a course thats more subjective, depending on the teacher, and as a result, even if two students are at the same level the marks may be different. This is why I would suggest Psychology, especially since it seems to tie in more with Life Sciences.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to get a 7 in Psychology HL than it is in HL English (assuming that is your language), especially with the new Psych syllabus. There is a lot of content, but it's really just memorising, where as English actually requires some skill in writing and analysing. It's up to you, but I would personally take Psych as your HL :)

• Like 1