Failing CAS

So I started IB in February this year, so its been about... Half a year since I've started.

I've been doing most of my CAS regularly, but I've missed a few reflections.

We've been advised to do at least one every month, but there are times when I've done 2 in one month and none in the month after, but then started again the following month.

Also, there have been problems with my long-term project which involves visiting an elderly person every week. She's been real sick these past few months so I haven't been able to do anything.

i'm getting paranoid about all this as I heard that so many people fail IB because of CAS!

Does anyone know what it actually takes to fail IB because of CAS?

Will I fail it!? :o

Well you fail it if you don't fulfil the requirements... so fulfil them and that's when you won't fail it. Your school has a CAS coordinator for a reason, so go and speak to them if you're worried about it.

If your activities aren't working out, find something else to do.

Failing the IB due to CAS is basically failing at life. It's such an embarrassing level of fail that to be honest I'd rather say I was too stupid to pass the Diploma :blink:

• Like 1

At my school they aren't that strict with reflections, I mean you could do it the night before CAS is due and nobody will know...unless you write the date of the reflection as the night before the reflections are due...

I don't think CAS is a major reason why people fail the diploma. There are things that are so much easier to fail xP So like Sandwich said, go talk to your coordinator and see what can be done. I seriously doubt your coordinator is waiting to fail people because of CAS O.o

It should go OK for you, don't worry so much about CAS.

There is no failing CAS. Your IB coordinator might not have told you, but, actually, your CAS coordinator has to send a list to the IB regional office of your continent with the ones who failed CAS. So, the IB won't get to see your CAS activities, nor your CAS diary. Just fulfill the requirements and don't make this a big deal. I felt the same when I was in IB, but now I realize how dumb was to worry about CAS. YOU WILL PASS CAS, I'm 100% sure. :D

You still have a year to finish your CAS requirements. :)

I think that you can finish your 150 hours in that time. Lol, most of the people in my school finish it in the summer breaks before IB1 and IB2.

Your school, like mine, MAY require CAS "checks" at varying points in the year. Although, this is subject to individual schools.

I think that they changed the rules for CAS hours for sessions after May 2011, so I'm not sure what the rules are for a long term project.

I'm sure that your coordinator/adviser will understand your situation.

Also, for the reflections, you can really do those at anytime, even if it's the day before it's due. Just try to finish it as soon as you complete a project, so you have all the information fresh in your mind. :) And remember to have your activity leader to sign off on your reflection sheet/logs if that how your school does it. :) Lol, so many people had to rush in the few days before CAS was due to get signatures. I was worried, but I only needed two signatures, and I got those a few weeks before it was due.

You won't fail IB because of CAS. Lol, if you do fail it, it's because you didn't get 50 hours in each section, or whatever other requirements there are. Also, whatever you do, don't falsify CAS records. Get your hours the honest way. :) If you get caught, you'll face nasty penalties lol.

P.S. My best advice is to do activities that you enjoy.

Edited by JoeGuff

There is no failing CAS. Your IB coordinator might not have told you, but, actually, your CAS coordinator has to send a list to the IB regional office of your continent with the ones who failed CAS. So, the IB won't get to see your CAS activities, nor your CAS diary. Just fulfill the requirements and don't make this a big deal. I felt the same when I was in IB, but now I realize how dumb was to worry about CAS. YOU WILL PASS CAS, I'm 100% sure. :D

I can confirm this. Our CAS coordinator said once that in around March, he'll log onto IB's website to tick checkboxes (lawl, or something to that effect) to verify that all candidates have successfully completed CAS, unless otherwise. It's just an extremely simple process for the CAS coordinator. All of the CAS reflections and records that you have to write are actually just to prove that you've actually done the activities in case any point of suspicion/doubt arises. Otherwise, none of the people at IB will be reading through your CAS stuff.