Is Chemistry HL required for engineering courses in top universities?

Harshay Shah

If you're applying for Engineering in india, you should probably do a non-conventional diploma and you have to take PCB and Maths at HL. But if you want to go abroad then you will need PCM at HL without a doubt for the UK. Two friends of mine are currently studying Engineering at Harvey Mud and Stanford respectively, those were their subject choices at HL I know that much.

I don't know if Chemistry HL's presence will make an epochal difference or not, but I do know that successful Engineering applications from my IB friends have had PCM at HL, in fact my friend who is at Stanford took four HLs, PCM and History (he was kind of crazy).

• 2 months later...

If you mean at US universities, then no, it's not required. There aren't many schools in the US that do IB, anyway. IBHL Chemistry would probably look really nice on your transcript to the colleges, though. They know IB is difficult. I would say that taking IBHL Chem would look pretty good to the admission officers, but it wouldn't give you A LOT of an advantage.