International Student interested in Canadian Universities

AlonsoDT

Hello everyone :D ,

I've been researching about some Canadian universities in which I'm interested (Alberta, Toronto, BC, McGill) and I have certain doubts on the costs of living, tuition, etc. Although I've found some information on this, I would like to get a more straigthforward response from this community. If any of you can tell me anything regarding the financial aspect of being an internat. student (including scholarships or loans) in a Candian uni, I would very much appreciate it :).

Idk, But as an example. UBC will cost around 30000 CAD. You will also need an english requirement, so look into that.

As for scholarships, you need to be a very active student. There are student loans however.

But I do believe it's too late to apply this year.

http://www.students.ubc.ca/youbc/va/costs.cfm

https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/cost.ezc?pageID=1090

I think Toronto and McGill are both around 18,000 CAD for international students. As for living costs, it really depends on whether you choose to live in residence or not. If you do live in residence it's about 10,000 CAD on top of the tuition fee (this depends on where the university is, the living costs will be higher in cities).

Although the entry requirements for the top canadian universities are generally lower than in the UK, for example, it's still really hard to get a scholarship because all universities are subsidized by the government, so they don't have that much scholarship money (if you really want to go to uni in north america but you need a scholarship, you might want to try the US, the private universities have a lot of scholarship money). However, there are a couple scholarships that are given out, but they're hard to get (I think you generally need around a 90% grade average and sometimes a requirement is financial need, at least I know that that's true for Queen's university)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually visisted U of T in July and they told me that for a full scholarship to U of T, they have a certain boundary (eg. 38 points) and everyone who passes the number of points required that year gets a full scholarship. However, it changes every year. Also, the lady mentioned that this year's point boundary might be in the 40s, yikes!

As for living expenses, I'm planning to study in toronto at least up to my master's and then live there (I'm from Vancouver), so my parents are going to buy me a condo. We did all the math and if you get a two-bedroom condo and share it with a room-mate, and split a monthly mortgage, it should be about the same or cheaper than living on-campus.

• Like 1

I actually visisted U of T in July and they told me that for a full scholarship to U of T, they have a certain boundary (eg. 38 points) and everyone who passes the number of points required that year gets a full scholarship. However, it changes every year. Also, the lady mentioned that this year's point boundary might be in the 40s, yikes!

Thanks for the info, but do you mind elaborating more on that? is that scholarship only for Canadian IB students or for all international IB students? Which page on the site gives the full details for this? I've checked their website but didn't find anything like IB Scholarship or whatnot :/

U of T does NOT give out scholarships that easily! They would be dirt poor if they gave out full scholarships like that for IB or any other academic equivalent. Plus it is the largest university in Canada in terms of student population and a lot of IB students apply there so imagine how many they would have to give out.

They give you $2000 automatically if you have a 92% average or higher in Ontario, I'm not sure if they have an equivalent for IB or not. They offer $5000 if your grades are excellent but certainly not a full scholarship for only 38-40 points. You would need to have stunning grades and stellar extracurriculars and involvement to get a full scholarship, especially as an international student.

Unfortunately it is expensive to study in Canada if you are an international student. However you should look around for loans and scholarships in your home country as well; they may be able to help you out quite a bit. There are scholarships for international students but I find that they are rather limited. Never hurts to look though :P

:gluck: