Subject choices too easy ?!

Kristi Lissa

Hey I'm just wondering whether or not the subjects i choose are too easy! I want to make the most out of my ib experience, and do subjects that will challenge me and also get me into a good university. I want to be either a editor or work in an arts related career

if you guys could give your input that would be great. The subjects are:

HL Visual Arts

HL A1 English

HL Spanish B

SL Math

SL Physics

SL Economics

There is no such thing as a set of subjects that are too easy!

It all depends on who you are and you've obviously chosen subjects you can do well in and that will help with your future.

If you think in general terms, taking the IB in the first place is a huge step and puts you apart from a lot of other students in the world. Even if you took what are traditionally and stereotypically the 'easy' subjects, you have already put yourself ahead of a lot of other students who chose a different, less challenging path.

And what do you think about

Polish A1 SL

Biology SL

Maths SL

English B HL

French B HL

Psychology HL

I'm thinking about law or international/european law, diplomacy, international relations or maybe some cognitive/experimental/- psychology. It's possible that French won't be availible. Then I have to change Biology to HL and take a lanugage at ab initio.

Polish A1 SL

Biology SL

Maths SL

English B HL

French B HL

Psychology HL

I'm thinking about law or international/european law, diplomacy, international relations or maybe some cognitive/experimental/- psychology. It's possible that French won't be availible. Then I have to change Biology to HL and take a lanugage at ab initio.

I believe its okay. But why don't you change polish A1 to HL? instead of biology to HL? Or maybe you could choose another group 3 subject such as history, economics, etc.

Hey I'm just wondering whether or not the subjects i choose are too easy! I want to make the most out of my ib experience, and do subjects that will challenge me and also get me into a good university. I want to be either a editor or work in an arts related career

if you guys could give your input that would be great. The subjects are:

HL Visual Arts

HL A1 English

HL Spanish B

SL Math

SL Physics

SL Economics

Language A1 HL is difficult, you know... so it's not too easy, although yeah your other HL subjects seem to be too easy and your econ could've been at HL; but what's the point?? you don't need it anyway... (I mean for Arts) so just stick with this combination. it wouldn't advantage you to take econ HL or math HL or phy HL. or, math might be beneficial in terms of the geometry and stuffs but it's not that relevant in arts I believe.

so don't worry...just get your 45 and you'll be okay :P

Polish A1 SL

Biology SL

Maths SL

English B HL

French B HL

Psychology HL

for Law,

Language A Literature HL might be helpful.

Math SL is fine.

then your Psychology...is also fine although I think you need another group 3 subject i.e. History or Economics (the former might be more useful albeit harder) instead of 3 languages.

if French becomes not available why don't you take up Polish A1 HL and for your SL choose History/Economics?

would be more useful that way I think.

I can't take another subject from 3rd group. I have to take a language (maybe they would let me take maths and physics if i proved them it's really neccessary. I know people can't take history AND geo) .

I don't really want to take Polish HL. It's not my thing.

And maybe I'd change Biology to HL anyway. Then maybe it's possible to pass chemistry exam at some polish university and I could try medicine. (they don't offer chemistry in my school)

Edited by lilianna009

Polish A1 SL

Biology SL

Maths SL

English B HL

French B HL

Psychology HL

Hi if you want to study Psychology in UK most unis require at least one science at HL, so Bio HL would be good, although some are ok with just Psychology.

I can't take another subject from 3rd group. I have to take a language (maybe they would let me take maths and physics if i proved them it's really neccessary. I know people can't take history AND geo) .

And maybe I'd change Biology to HL anyway. Then maybe it's possible to pass chemistry exam at some polish university and I could try medicine. (they don't offer chemistry in my school)

you can take history and geo. Is it only at your school?

Btw. I wouldn't recommended taking the extra language. An extra science is almost always preffered.

you can take history and geo. Is it only at your school?

Btw. I wouldn't recommended taking the extra language. An extra science is almost always preffered.

I can't take it at my school. I know that some people in my class took histor yand geo and at a meeting the coordinator told they must change it. I have to take Polish form 1st, English from 2nd. Then as the 6th group there are languages and one must take it. When choosing 2 subjects from one group it is only possible with physics and maths (as we don't have chemistry, so there is no bio-chemistry 'problem').

I can't take it at my school. I know that some people in my class took histor yand geo and at a meeting the coordinator told they must change it. I have to take Polish form 1st, English from 2nd. Then as the 6th group there are languages and one must take it. When choosing 2 subjects from one group it is only possible with physics and maths (as we don't have chemistry, so there is no bio-chemistry 'problem').

Your school is weird. The first group is generally English (Group 1), the second group is your foreign language, and the sixth group is Arts, which is entirely optional. Your teacher is off his rocker if he is forcing you to take three languages. Polish and English is more than enough for the IB. If you're interested in Law or International Relations, you need more social studies. As far as the UK is concerned, the two most important subjects for Law are English HL and History HL. For International Relations its the above two as well as Economics HL. You need to tell your teachers that this combination that they're forcing you to take is doing more harm than good and you need an extra social science.

That's my two cents.

Arrowhead.

• Like 1

Well, English is my foreign language and it would be difficult to have it as A1.

As to more social sucjects...maybe I'll send an e-mail to my IBC, but I guess it's not possible anyways. From what I saw, at the student time table usually social subjects are at the same time.

And actually I really would like to have French at school. Then I'd have some time to attend Swedish classes after school ;).

Edited by lilianna009

It's all well and good if you're happy to take the extra languages and are so interested in linguistics, but if you're serious about pursuing Law, International Relations, or Psychology and are torn between them, then the least you need to do is take both History and Psychology, so that you can keep your options open. Your school is doing you a disservice by not allowing you that option because I know a number of students who are taking two social sciences because they are vital for University study and entrance requirements or are basic pre-requisies.

Then again, I am talking from a UK standpoint, are you planning to come to the UK to study? Or are you planning on staying in Poland and pursuing your career choice at a University there? If so, I would suggest you look up the entrance requirements for the courses in the Polish Universities you hope to apply to and see if they have any issues with you taking only one social science. If they don't, then you're set.

Best of luck,
Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 1

But for Polish unis, when it comes to Law, I don't think you can get away without taking History HL. You definitely should check it!

You can take Maths.

And I really don't want to study here ;).

Well, neither do I, but it's always good to have some kind of back-up plan. :)