Error Bars on graphs

White94

Hey there guys,

I have been working on my biology lab and am now just reviewing everything and making sure I have everything I need. It's been too long since I did one, and I neglected to brush up on my error bar skills before the end of IB1. On my graph my error bars stretch into negative values, even though none of my collected data is negative. Have I done something wrong here?

Thank you

White94

Hey there guys,

I have been working on my biology lab and am now just reviewing everything and making sure I have everything I need. It's been too long since I did one, and I neglected to brush up on my error bar skills before the end of IB1. On my graph my error bars stretch into negative values, even though none of my collected data is negative. Have I done something wrong here?

Thank you

White94

Hi,

There are two options for error bars. One is fixed values the other is % of the value. It sounds like your you have a fixed value error. Such a situation will only occur if you have an error greater than your value e.g. 2cm +/- 5 in which case you will have 0 to -3 covered by the error bar. Are you sure the values in are correct? Make sure to differentiate between % errors (e.g. 5cm +/- 20%) and absolute errors (e.g. 5cm +/- 0.5).

• Like 1

Hey,

Yeah what you said about fixed value error seems correct. I think I'm going to need to look again at the results. The biology coursework piece was based on two different forest types and the plant diversity within. The graph is based on average % cover of the different species in each forest. The standard deviation is then between the average % cover for each species present in both sites. I might have made a mistake, because %cover varies greatly between the two sites.

Thank you

Edited by White94