2012 UCAS Applicants Thread

The Economist

I'm a UCAS applicant too :)

My predicted points are 38 or 39 (not entirely sure whether I got a 6 or a 7 predicted for geography) and I don't know about my bonus points - but I'm personally hoping for 2 bonus points so that would make 40 or 41.

I applied to these courses:

Oxford (LMH) - Spanish and Linguistics

King's College London - Spanish with English

Queen Mary, University of London - Hispanic Studies and Linguistics

Queen Mary, University of London - English and Hispanic Studies

Royal Holloway University of London - Spanish with German

I already received an offer from RHUL on Friday, they seem to be super fast... Their conditions are 34 points with a 6 in HL Spanish, so that should be quite easy for me. It wouldn't be my first choice to go to RHUL, but I'm still happy!

Oh and I haven't received an acknowledgement from Oxford yet either...

I need to sit the Modern Languages and Linguistics Aptitude Test on the 2nd of November... I'm a bit worried for that because if I do bad I'm scared they won't invite me for an interview.

Indre, you'll hear in november or december I think, depending on your course. if only you asked in the FB group someone would probably link you to the dates of interview for each subject. regarding offers, depending on the universities. some will wait till February, some will give offers to those who apply earlier.

Loeszie, wow congrats on the offer! ahaha good luck on the test, I'm looking forward to the Maths Aptitude one too!

Thank you! :)

I received an e-mail from Oxford today (or maybe it was yesterday at the end of the day, but I only saw it today), saying that they received my application so now I'm sure all my choices have received my application (I already heard from the others before).

nice! I received mine this afternoon (or this very morning UK time) and I'm so glad my college is confirmed XD

I'm still waiting for 2/4 more acknowledgements...from Imperial and Southampton although I heard Imperial don't send out acknowledgements :/ I heard the Southampton one is sent through mail so that sucks... I'm an international applicant so I can only expect to receive it in about 3 weeks -_- haha

may I ask when you get to reply to the offer? when's the LATEST date to reply to it?

I never got an acknowledgement from Royal Holloway either, I only know they've gotten my application because they've given me an offer :P

I think you only hear the exact date by the time you have all of your offers in (UCAS sends you an email at that point). I think my careers advisor said it would probably be somewhere at the beginning of May.

Oh wow I hadn't noticed how active this post was! Good job, guys :)

Allow me to join the conversation :P

Sent my application for Economics (L100 and L101) of the 1st of October (it was processed on the 4th though) with a grade of 42/45 (sat my final exams in May 2011)

My university choices are:

1. University College London (L)

2. London School of Economics

3. University of Warwick

4. University of Bath

5. University of Edinburgh

I got all of my acknowledgments but I am not expecting any offers any time soon (only rejections :P)

Good luck to everybody! :D

On 16/10/2011 at 7:44 PM, Indre said:

Well, I was just interested whether you know when can we expect the answer from Oxford whether we are invited for an interview or not? I'm afraid that >1 month of waiting can totally drive me crazy :coffee:

And the last question: if I sent my app on 15 Oct instead of by 15 Jan, can I expect to receive an offer/a reject earlier than in March?

You will be invited to interview two weeks before the interview date earliest. I had to fly on the 7th of December last year and I found out on the 28th of November I think. The good thing is that you will find out very shortly after the interview if you got a place or not, before Christmas in any case.

Yes, you might get earlier offers, I received my first one around this date and my second one a few weeks after although I did have to wait for Durham (a rejection!) until March. This isn't really given though and really just depends on the strength of your application relative to others and luck.

(EDIT: Oh yes, and if it seems bad now just wait until after your interviews before you get a decision... worst 2 weeks of my life. Since it seems that there's quite a few Oxford applicants here, if anyone has any questions about applying or studying feel free to e-mail me, I'll reply when I get a moment off :)

Edited by Cynthia
  • Like 1

@Loeszie, that's cool then! at the moment I'm craving for an email from Imperial... people have been invited for interviews so I'm curious if I'll get one too :panic: anyway are you in the Oxford applicants FB group?

@Jirashimosu you decided not to apply to Oxford?? too bad :( I heard from TSR that Edinburgh gives out offers easily to internationals btw... I reckon you can expect one soon!

@Cynthia OMG they get you a personalised email address??? that's SO COOL i've always wanted one from my school but only teachers get it here <_< I want one once I get to uni haha

@Loeszie, that's cool then! at the moment I'm craving for an email from Imperial... people have been invited for interviews so I'm curious if I'll get one too :panic: anyway are you in the Oxford applicants FB group?

@Jirashimosu you decided not to apply to Oxford?? too bad :( I heard from TSR that Edinburgh gives out offers easily to internationals btw... I reckon you can expect one soon!

@Cynthia OMG they get you a personalised email address??? that's SO COOL i've always wanted one from my school but only teachers get it here <_< I want one once I get to uni haha

Nah, as far as I know Edinburgh gives priority to applicants outside the EU! And last year they were the last to give me an offer <_< They responded around February if I'm not mistaken so I still have a loooong way to go :P

Oh and about Oxford, no I did not apply because they do not have a pure Economics course :/ My next option was Cambridge, but still I did not feel that I had strong enough grades for Oxbridge so I went for a safer option (University of Bath). If I get rejected by LSE and UCL though, I would prefer the University of Toronto than any other UK univ. We'll see ! Good luck with your applications! I'm sure you'll do great! :D (4/4 offers probably? :))

Edited by Jirashimosu

I hope you'll be invited for an interview too, good luck! :)

No I'm not in the FB group, could you please give me the link? Then I'll join!

Anyone have any experience with medicine?

I'm applying for Medicine A100 for

Oxford

UCL

Leicester

Dundee

Anyone know when I will find out offers/rejections etc?

I believe that your main concern at this point should be an interview call rather than an offer/rejection. They interview all of the medicine applicants.

I hope you'll be invited for an interview too, good luck! :)

No I'm not in the FB group, could you please give me the link? Then I'll join!

thanks and you too! :D ah k, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_230229913676420

Nah, as far as I know Edinburgh gives priority to applicants outside the EU! And last year they were the last to give me an offer <_< They responded around February if I'm not mistaken so I still have a loooong way to go :P

Oh and about Oxford, no I did not apply because they do not have a pure Economics course :/ My next option was Cambridge, but still I did not feel that I had strong enough grades for Oxbridge so I went for a safer option (University of Bath). If I get rejected by LSE and UCL though, I would prefer the University of Toronto than any other UK univ. We'll see ! Good luck with your applications! I'm sure you'll do great! :D (4/4 offers probably? :))

ohh haha too bad... Edinburgh is very money minded I see..

if I were you I'd give Cambridge a shot :P oh well.. is UofT that good? I always thought UK universities were better than Canadian universities but I might be wrong, no offence!

thanks for believing in me!! I can only pray and see..... :(

Hi!!! :D

Sent off my CUKAS applications in September, and my UCAS ones about 3 weeks ago. Got my first offer yesterday, from Surrey - they want 35 IB points and an A for A Level Music :S but I think I can make it!! I'm predicted 36 and an A, so it should be alright :)

I also have applied for Oxford, Bristol and Southampton - to do music as well - and Leeds College of Music, to do a combined music course. I was meant to hear from Oxford today about which college I've been assigned to, as I made an open application, but they haven't got back to me, which seems a bit rubbish!

I also applied for Trinity College of Music, the Royal College of Music and the Royal Northern College of Music on CUKAS, and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama independently, which is my first choice - I have auditions for all these in November :)

Good luck everyone on your applications, and best of luck in your IB exams, whenever they are! :)

I thought of creating a separate thread on offers given by univs but I think there is not really a point in that. I got my first offer 2 days ago (I think) so has anyone else heard from them? It's awful how long we have to wait until we get their decisions! Good luck again with your applications, people :)

congrats Jirashimosu! yeah let's keep em all here since there aren't many people applying to UK here anyways -_- but congrats!!! I haven't got any offer... just 3/4 acknowledgements :( good luck to ya all!

out of interest, anyone on TSR?

Thanks! But you shouldn't worry, it is way too early to expect decisions from your univs. They are too awesome :P By the way, did you take that TSA exam for Oxford? How was it?

Yep, I'm on TSR but it's getting really boring since all of them are A-level kids yawn.gif It's a good forum only if you want to take a look at the offers/rejections given so I rarely use it.

Thanks! But you shouldn't worry, it is way too early to expect decisions from your univs. They are too awesome :P By the way, did you take that TSA exam for Oxford? How was it?

Yep, I'm on TSR but it's getting really boring since all of them are A-level kids yawn.gif It's a good forum only if you want to take a look at the offers/rejections given so I rarely use it.

lolll maybe :P

nope, is TSA thinking skills assessment? I'm only taking the MAT next wednesday ~_~