AP vs IB?

timtamboy63

31 members have voted

1. 1. IB or AP

• IB
    • AP

I have yet to take IB (I start in the fall) but I can give you my perspective as a student who had to choose between AP and IB classes for my schedule.

At my school, the IB classes are not structured to prepare you for the AP test, but the AP test is always an option for IB students if they so choose. The problem is, some of the AP test schedules conflicted with the IB test schedules - something to consider.

I don't know if they're somehow teaching IB differently here, but the head coordinator has promised that IB is a much different learning atmosphere and testing style than AP. A simple comparison that I've been told is true: The AP test is moreso trying to figure out what you DON'T know, while the IB test is moreso trying to figure out what you KNOW. AP is more reading, writing, memorizing, and regurgitating...while IB is more conceptual, project-based, and analysis. Basically, almost anyone can do the AP class and exam with the right amount of studying. Yes, it's called "Advanced Placement" but it should really be called "Hi I don't have to be that smart but I can memorize stuff really well". Ok, jk, that's an awful name but you get the gist. The IB exam, from what I've heard, is more intuitive and requires more critical thinking. (anyone can back me up or refute this - obv I don't have firsthand knowledge)

Essentially, if your school caters to both exams, you should feel more prepared for the AP exam than most of us here who do not have that learning environment. But it will still be a ton of memorizing, depending on the class. If I were you, I would compare the syllabi of both tests you're considering and figure out if you can knock out two birds with one stone. As long as cost is not a factor, taking both exams with the same amount of preparation would be nice. Also, I don't know if this is true, but it's possible that IB and AP can cover different college credits...say you get a 5 on the APUSH exam and a 7 on the IB US History exam...could those each count as a "social studies" credit in college? Could you potentially eliminate more courses that way or will they count toward the same basic credit?

Finally, ask your teachers for their advice! If they're teaching AP and IB, they likely have a good grasp on both curriculums and can offer you insight from past years' students' experiences. :)

Do both :)

You don't have to take the AP class to take the AP exam. Do the IB classes then go take the AP exam (especially your HL classes, they go beyond AP).

AP is more recognized in the US as a whole. Some colleges are different but I've also had a recruiter ask me what IB even was sooooo....take that however you want too.

I know a friend of mine who applied to university of washington and was able to talk to an admission officer and they said they actually separate normal applications from IB applications and the IB ones get their own consideration irrelevant of the the rest of them...

IB at our school is valued more so than AP.

AP is no where near the difficulty and Rigor as IB is. (Based on my school)

AP expects you to remember more and work harder at memorizing, therefore a bigger course load.

IB expects you to Remember More, Word Hard, Apply what you learned, Become Well-rounded, and being able to think outside of the textbook.

We are allowed to take AP test, since like your school, our IB classes coincide with AP material. It really is just an extra bonus.

Edited by goTiffany