Describe your musical tastes in 5 albums

StSilver

Guest Forgotten Writer

Hmm, oh so difficult, but I shall try.

Second Family-Patent Pending

Mostly because it is my current addiction.

Blackout-Dropkick Murphys

Has almost all of my favorite songs by them on it.

Science & Faith-The Script

My explanation for the world is described using both Science and Faith, so I figured it fit.

Fearless-Taylor Swift

I am Fearless in a lot of ways, and I just love the music.

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right...But Three Do-Relient K

Christian music...and the title describes my life, I am always finding a way to make things work.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this topic. I honestly think music is the only thing that has kept me sane throughout the IB. Very difficult question though. I chose my albums that reflect the genre's I like. I love a lot of indie music, but I think major labels are capable of producing gems as well a la Fiona Apple. I love a pretty diverse range of genres. Can't get behind any kind of punk or metal music though.

1) Funeral by Arcade Fire

People who keep complaining that contemporary music has died need to STFU and do a little exploring. I think is album is hauntingly spare, and the lyrics are absolutely amazing. A modern classic, and I think its hard to disagree with the universal acclaim. Fully Recommend

ArcadeFireFuneralCover.jpg

2)The Idler Wheel...by Fiona Apple.

I think Fiona Apple is a songwriting genius. her past albums have been fantastic and each album is a Fiona Apple album while still having an individual sound. Her newest album is her best so far. Songs like "Left Alone" are themes anyone can relate to, and "Hot Knife" has an incrediby infectious composition. Criminally underrated artist, and I hope y'all go check her out.

220px-The_Idler_Wheel.jpg

3) The Archandroid by Janelle Monae

I love the classics, especially soul, RnB and Funk most of all. So I think Janelle Monae has done an awesome job of crafting a completely original album and bringing these genres back into contemporary music; it truly is something I've never heard before. I dare you not to start tapping your feet and dancing around during "Tightrope".

Janelle_Mon%C3%A1e_-_The_ArchAndroid_album_cover.jpg

4) Ceremonials by Florence and the Machine

I don't particularly like contemporary pop music, and I don't begrudge those who do. But, if I'm going to listen to something pop, I'd to stick to my idea of good pop. Catchy songs and lyrics. Songs that you can belt out, and a truly unique voice makes Florence Welch one of my favorite contemporary artists.

Ceremonials.png

5) Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder 'nuff said.

Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

Edited by Bert Macklin FBI

In no particular order:

(Note that some song and band names are in Korean. Though, as this forum won't accept Korean letters, I've romanised them.)

1. Dream Theater - Black Cloud & Silver Linings

I can easily let my thoughts drift away with this album. From the hopeless sentiments in 'Wither' to the memorable 'The Best Of Times,' it is an album which I don't want to be without.

2. Boohwal - Purple Wave

Calm rock from Korea, full of emotions. One of the best of its kind. The band is one of the longest living Korean rock bands still active, formed in 1985 and still going strong.

3. YB - Why Be?

Another Korean rock band with more up-beat songs than Boohwal. Great vocals and lyrics. Songs like 'Nanun nabi (Flying Butterfly)' and 'oneuleun (Today)' are classics, but ' cheongugeulo ganeun beoseu (Heaven's Bus)' and their version of Arirang (the most famous Korean folk song) should also be noticed. They do have made English versions of some of their songs on this album.

4. kaeulbanghag (Autumn Vacation) - kaeulbanghag (Autumn Vacation)

Korean indie music with calming vocal.

5. Jaurim - Jemog eobsneun eumban (Untitled Records)

Jaruim is also a well-known rock band from Korea, alternating from the very happy to truly depressing songs. This is one of their darkest albums which features a powerful vocal and depressing melodies. The song 'nasa (luó si) (Screw - also known as Spiral Silk)' is representative for the whole album, being a depressive song with an almost sickening music video.

That's the top 5 at the moment. It could easily change, though. Most of the Korean songs are quite hard to find without searching for them in Korean, so if you have trouble finding them, PM me and I can help you ;)