Good medical universties?

thehaikubandit

Oooh thank you :)

I am curious about those in Europe that are not in the UK as I

have heard particularly good things about those in Switzerland Holland and Sweden.

Does anyone know anything about those and if it is possible to take courses in English?

By courses I mean a whole under-graduate diploma.

Guest Soiboist

Oooh thank you :)

I am curious about those in Europe that are not in the UK as I

have heard particularly good things about those in Switzerland Holland and Sweden.

Does anyone know anything about those and if it is possible to take courses in English?

By courses I mean a whole under-graduate diploma.

I can tell you about Sweden. First of all you would need to have 40+ points and Biology, Chemistry and Physics (SL/HL), which is unlikely for you to have taken. Additionally you will be placed in the "third group" for admission as you're coming from a foreign country. It's a bit complicated but it basically means that it will be very difficult to get in, even if you would have 45 points. You would also have to pay as you don't come from Sweden. The biggest problem though is that I don't think they actually offer medicine in English. I'm sorry to say it, but overall I don't consider Sweden to be a good option for you. :)

Both UCL and Imperial College London are very good for medicine even though they're not Oxbridge. I may be a bit wrong on this, but I don't think the university is that important when it comes to medicine in the UK. As long as you get in to a university you like you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

If it helps I am able to get an EU passport.

I don't know what that would mean exactly (rather embarrassing as I live in the EU). But even if it would mean that you would be treated as a EU citizen and thus not would have to pay for Swedish universities, you would still not be likely to get in. First of all they consider foreign students (group 3) later than both Swedish students (group 1) and students that have supplemented their grades (group 2). For such a popular course as medicine it would most likely mean that no matter of your grades, you wouldn't be considered for admission. Also remember that you will need to have taken Biology, Chemistry and Physics at either SL or HL as they are required for admission. You will also in practice need to have above 40 points, translated to maximum points from Swedish schools, in order to get in. Do you meet all these requirements?

If the EU passport means that you'll be treated as living in the EU, you could apply for medicine in Scotland if you want a cheaper education (possibly even free). Edinburgh is a very good university for medicine for instance. I know that a lot of Swedes that don't get into medicine in Sweden choose to study in Poland or Romania. It is rather easy to be accepted but the education, which is offered in English, is in itself quite tough. Swedes returning home after studying there are often very well-educated and know a lot of details that Swedish medicine students don't.

I know that in Poland there are a few good med schools where you only need Chem and Bio HL and there are courses in English (at least at my city's med school). And they convert IB points into their own system in a way that's very good for IB students, from what I've heard, some people go to IB only because of this conversion rate med school.

• Like 1

if you come to australia, melbourne, the best uni would be melbourne university and its offered in english. though you begin with a 3 year undergraudute course then apply into your special field eg dentisry, gp etcc. for the science course u need i think over 32 though you have to choose specific subjects and avergae at least 70's in your exams.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking for medical Uni!!!! I have no idea where I can go except staying in Poland.

Btw. I know that in the medical university of Warsaw are lessons in english, 3000euro a year. They are only interested in your biology and chemistry(HL)-->It has to give average 6. :) Ohh.. They adore the IB students :)

Guest ojlikjumhnzdfgre

I am looking into the UCLA for now...else its Cambridge...if not, somewhere serene. Its all about how you can adapt to the environment to suit your learning needs/capabilities..i think