Epic Riddle

Guest Joseph Swailes

Guest Joseph Swailes

Saw this in a book somewhere:

You are driving back home on an extremely stormy night. It is almost as if there is a hurricane. It is pouring and so windy debris is actually be blown around. So you are driving along a road and come to a bus stop. At the bus stop there are only three people. The bus isn't supposed to come for 45 minutes and with the storm who knows when it will be there. You have room for only one other person in your car. So you can choose to take one of the three people:

A) The girl of you dreams, she is perfect for you in every way but she is not from around here and this is the only way you would ever be able to be with her.

B) One of your old mates. But not just any mate, he once saved your life. Without him you wouldn't be around right now.

C) An old lady who needs to go to the hospital immediately and will live if she gets treatment.

To put numbers on it, your mate and the girl each have a 55% chance of living through this storm but the sick elderly woman has a 5%.

So who do you pick, the perfect girl for you? Your mate who once saved your life? An elderly lady who will be sure to die without your help?

This is the cruelest riddle I have ever read.

Hm... It really depends on the type of car. If it's a four-seater with some random junk in the back, I would quickly shift a few things about so that the girl of my dreams would be able to sit there and tend to the elderly woman in relative comfort so that my friend can ride with me in the front on the way to the hospital.

If it's a two-seater, then would the boot count as space? If so, me and the girl of my dreams would nestle up comfortably and have an intimate conversation while my friend and the elderly woman drive on to the hospital.

let's evaluate each option:

C) An old lady who needs to go to the hospital immediately and will live if she gets treatment.

She is old..and will die anyway after a while, even if she recovered after the treatment. And you don't know her. Definitely no.

A) The girl of you dreams, she is perfect for you in every way but she is not from around here and this is the only way you would ever be able to be with her.

What do you mean by she is not from around here? There are a lot of fish in the sea anyway, so just give up on her.

B) One of your old mates. But not just any mate, he once saved your life. Without him you wouldn't be around right now.

He once saved my life, so it's time for me to save his life in return.

I'll take my old friend with me.

Saw this in a book somewhere:

You are driving back home on an extremely stormy night. It is almost as if there is a hurricane. It is pouring and so windy debris is actually be blown around. So you are driving along a road and come to a bus stop. At the bus stop there are only three people. The bus isn't supposed to come for 45 minutes and with the storm who knows when it will be there. You have room for only one other person in your car. So you can choose to take one of the three people:

To put numbers on it, your mate and the girl each have a 55% chance of living through this storm but the sick elderly woman has a 5%.

So who do you pick, the perfect girl for you? Your mate who once saved your life? An elderly lady who will be sure to die without your help?

I echo the sentiments of the above poster: this is one cruel riddle =S

With the logistics issues apparent, I suppose this is more or less theoretical, and a measure of one's morality. That means for me, I have no choice but to measure each option on potential/guaranteed gain. Saving each of these people would give a boost of happiness that only altruism can give, mixed with a tinge of regret, so an emotional reaction isn't a factor in the decision.

A) The chances of meeting anyone that is "perfect... in every way" again is so, so slim, let alone actually being able to interact with her. Of note is the fact that there is no guarantee she, in turn, will find me the perfect match; however, given the circumstances, I am very much inclined to hedge my bets in this case.

B) Sure, I owe him one from the past, but if I were to approach this in the manner that I said I would, I have to say that there appears to be very little personal benefit I would receive now. Maybe we'd be friends again, but if he was an old friend, who's to say that's even desirable?

C) Again, very little benefit from this choice. The only possibility I foresee is monetary compensation out of gratitude, and I would not be choosing money over "love."

So, I would have to choose the girl. Fortunate that I didn't choose the old woman, since my place happens to be a lot closer than the hospital ;)

• 2 weeks later...

B) I would probably take my best friend because I know the person, and it is not like you ask random people at a bus stop if they want to go with you, at least I havn't. Though, maybe a in a great storm it is different, but have never been in that situation so I don't know...

C) She is dieing for good's sake.. I would drive her to the hospital and leave the stuff that is occuping the seats and then get the other two.

Or why not from the beginning throwing out the stuff keeping you from driving all the people? If those stuff arn't people, but if they were, the old lady gets the front seat and the other two should probably be able to squeez in with the other people?:S I mean if they have 55% of surviving they muset be able to drive a bit illegaly?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

definitely B. if I were B and had saved this guys life just to be left in the storm to die because the guy wants to save a beautiful unknown girl or an old lady I would be very angry. from the drivers point of view leaving B would definitely cause harm to the relationship and there is the chance that B will try to harm you out of spite. B is the only choice that doesn't have its losses.

A is a gamble. It is betting the lose of your friend on a possibility of gaining a relationship with the girl of your dreams.

B is the safe choice. You are not losing anything that you had, but you are not doing it to gain anything either.

Edited by milk out of nose

• 10 months later...

I totally agree with the above one but I have a bit my own idea. Just get out of the car and give the car to your friend and the old lady. Then you shoot yourself and your dream girl with revolver and then you both can happily live in heaven. :D

Wow... that got twisted pretty fast... :P