Option topic: Discrete Mathamatics

Hey I'm doing Discrete (exam on Monday ashsjdhshdjsad)...umm we weren't taught anything about strong induction nor do I recollect seeing it in any of the past papers. I don't think you have to learn it.

You would need to know normal induction (duh) and some graph theory proofs use proof by contradiction.

K thanks. Was asking cause strong induction was in a book that our teacher gave us on discrete maths but the 2010-2011 syllabus for the option didn't mention anything about strong induction

Hey,

I also do discrete maths.

its not likely because in the exam theres only 5 questions. BUT...there are occasional PMI questions and mostly its the original method but if it involves inequalities you might have to use strong induction for that.

too hard to tell really but i would prepare a bit for it just in case.

On another note does anyone have a link to past papers after 2008 cause i cant find any

this is for discrete maths

I don't know how it was between 2006 and 2008, but earlier all the options were included in paper 2 of the exam, so I'd check there...

EDIT: Between '06 and '08 in P3 all options are put together in a single paper.

Edited by Slovakov

Hey,

I also do discrete maths.

its not likely because in the exam theres only 5 questions. BUT...there are occasional PMI questions and mostly its the original method but if it involves inequalities you might have to use strong induction for that.

too hard to tell really but i would prepare a bit for it just in case.

On another note does anyone have a link to past papers after 2008 cause i cant find any

this is for discrete maths

[Past Paper Link Removed]

That's a link to the November 2010 Paper. Tell me how you get on with it. I found it quite straightforward until the very last proof by contradiction question. It seems to be a habit of the IB to pack it with easy graph algorithm questions and then end the paper with a nasty proof that even the markscheme doesn't explain properly.

Edited by Keel
Past papers are copyrighted material. Removed by moderator.