Math HL P2 TZ1

Slovakov

So, what are you feelings after P2 exam?

I personally consider it much easier than paper 1. The questions qere more predictable and only the time was the problem. I didn't have time to make the last question as a whole...

Now your turn! :)

I got the same feeling. The questions were very traditional, but there was a lot of stuff and I left a whole section A question blank. Answered partially on a few questions, so I really don't know. All in all an easier than average paper 2 I'd say.

So, what are you feelings after P2 exam?

I personally consider it much easier than paper 1. The questions qere more predictable and only the time was the problem. I didn't have time to make the last question as a whole...

Now your turn! :)

I think paper 2 was kind of easier than paper 1.

Amen to that :rolleyes: I mean some of the questions were like gifts from heaven compared to some of the stuff in P1. Especially the probability questions, but again I didn't get as much done as I would have wanted left Q8 and Q10 entirely blank I think and a couple of other questions partially answered in section A. And then in section B I think it was so that I answered Q12 completely and tried to answer Q11 as well. But I realised I made a mistake in relation to some of the original vector calculations in Q11, because in the b. part I couldn't get the correct vector out of it so that the other numbers would match (where it asked for m), probably something to do with the way I set out the paralellogram? Did anyone else have a similar problem? But I think I'll get a fair bit of points from it thanks to ECF. Didn't finish it completely. And then started on the mathematical induction in Q13, but for some reason couldn't quite finish that either and then jumped to the PART B with like 5 minutes left lol.

Could have gone better though, I think the grade will be in the 4-5 region depending on grade boundaries (not quite up there with my predicted 6).

I think it was easier than paper 2's in previous years, though I didn't quite get the induction (though i spend like 10 mins trying to spot my mistake, it looked like if i had a - where i had a + i would have gotten it, but i couldn't figure out why it should be a minus :/ ) and there were a couple on section A that were tricky.

@ocfx, which were 8 and 10

I hated question eleven i couldn't find s whatever i tried so I just gave up...

otherwise it was pretty good paper, induction was pretty standard, but it's easy to confuse yourself, it took me 10 minutes to do i and i made a lot of mistakes in between, hopefully it was correct in the end :P

section a was ok, except one question which really annoyed me the one about the girl jumping off the balloon. the function for s(t) was always increasing, so I didn't know what I messed up.

Yeah, 10 and 8 were really hard, I started on them to get method points. We'll see, hope the grade boundaries are really low this year

paper 2 was definitely easier than paper 1! :) I was able to finish relatively majority of the question in both sections. I really struggled on the question wherein we had to do integration by parts! that ate so much of my time because you had to do more than twice apparently. And yeah I was only able to do a portion of the last question of Section B.

But guys, if you are TZ2, how did you approach the poisson distribution question? Do you have to set 0.5 as the mean literally or should you consider it as the "rate" since μ=λt. How did you guys approach this question. I was only able to solve (a) and (b) and I was not able to answer the rest of the question... :(

Yes, I'm TZ2 and I agree with the others. Overall the paper was easier and much more accessible than paper 2. However, I ran out of time again, just like paper 1 and left close to 10 marks. The induction I coudln't quite get the final step.

@Son Kim- yes, although the mean is 0.5, the fact that t=1 means that rate also becomes 0.5. So, if they ask you for 6 months, then new mean becomes 0.5*6=3.

Did anyone get how to solve that question where you had to find the acute angle between two tangents.

Even in the graphing question, I couldn't find any oblique asymptote. How did you guys do that?

Also, In Q11, the vectors one, how do you find the coordinates of S?

Overall, it was a better paper.

I admit Paper 2 was easier than 1 but I still found it difficult :S I think the hardest part was the time constraints...plus a lot of us didn't even SEE the last question till about 10 minutes before the end...some didn't see it at all...

@AvifromtheOC: I used the direction vector of QR and made it equal to PS. Haha..I totally left out the oblique asymptope...:(

Yes, I'm TZ2 and I agree with the others. Overall the paper was easier and much more accessible than paper 2. However, I ran out of time again, just like paper 1 and left close to 10 marks. The induction I coudln't quite get the final step.

@Son Kim- yes, although the mean is 0.5, the fact that t=1 means that rate also becomes 0.5. So, if they ask you for 6 months, then new mean becomes 0.5*6=3.

Did anyone get how to solve that question where you had to find the acute angle between two tangents.

Even in the graphing question, I couldn't find any oblique asymptote. How did you guys do that?

I couldn't find S, so I couldn't do the rest... I hated that question. Easier paper,but -17 points just on that stupid question.

the tangent one, a friend of mine said you solved it using the y intercepts, then taking the inverse tan of the y-intercept/x-coordinate.

the oblique asymptote was just y=x. why didn't you use your gdc? i hate those things, but in that question it actually became useful

To find S, I drew out of a little parallelogram like this

R Q

P S

and then said that vector RQ + vector QS (the diagonal) had to be equal to PQ. Or something like that. I wish I'd reviewed geometry before exams, i can't actually remember much about parallelograms but it seemed to work because the next question required P and i think i got it.

if you just put in a random value for P and did the rest of the questions right using that value, i think you'd get full marks because of error follow through.

Edited by lexie

I also had problems with finding the coordinates of S, but found it in the end. I drew up the parallelogram and I think I equated the two parallel lines, to find S. I was unsure if I did it right, but then when we had to find the cross product I got the same answer for the x and y coordinate as shown, so I knew I correctly found S. I found m=-2.

Anyways, that first question was way to hard to be a first vector question, and it was only worth 2 marks!

I remember the question on the angle between two tangents, but didn't have time for it.

The oblique asymptote was y=x. You could see it if you used your GDC, but you can also show it by setting x-->infinity for the equation and dividing everything by the highest x^2.

Edited by chrypton
  • Like 1

I admit Paper 2 was easier than 1 but I still found it difficult :S I think the hardest part was the time constraints...plus a lot of us didn't even SEE the last question till about 10 minutes before the end...some didn't see it at all...

@AvifromtheOC: I used the direction vector of QR and made it equal to PS. Haha..I totally left out the oblique asymptope...:(

The last question was the induction and the integration one, right?

God be thanked, I got the same answer for m in the vector question! :D

Ywah, the last question was induction and integration. I didn't have time even to start it.

I also had no idea what to do in question 10 in section A. I caculated the derivative... and that's all...

• Like 1

I also had problems with finding the coordinates of S, but found it in the end. I drew up the parallelogram and I think I equated the two parallel lines, to find S. I was unsure if I did it right, but then when we had to find the cross product I got the same answer for the x and y coordinate as shown, so I knew I correctly found S. I found m=-2.

Anyways, that first question was way to hard to be a first vector question, and it was only worth 2 marks!

I remember the question on the angle between two tangents, but didn't have time for it.

The oblique asymptote was y=x. You could see it if you used your GDC, but you can also show it by setting x-->infinity for the equation and dividing everything by the highest x^2.

I had trouble with finding the maximums and minimums for that question I could only find the two that were visible in the GDC display, or did they mean that one point of inflexion as well, because it said to find the 'two maximums and minimums' or something like that? I tried derivating it but for some reason it didn't work out?

In terms of solving the vector question I did it the same way as what's been said PS=QR, but I didn't get the same numbers in the end from the vector cross product. Must have been some plus minus error I hope they give me some points still.

The last question was the induction and the integration one, right?

yes it was

For the vector question on TZ2, it took me awhile to figure out how to find S. Eventually I let point S be (a, b, c) and I set the midpoint of RP equal to the midpoint of QS, because it was a parallelogram so the diagonals cross at the same point. That gave me three simple equations to find a, b, and c..... I got m=-2. :)