Geo Paper 1

Dwight Schrute

Hi,

Was everyone aware of the new structure in the geography exam?

I just did the paper 1 and told my teacher of the changes, my paper 2 is tomorrow and supposedly i must answer a question of two of my themes rather than 1. i prepared to choose between lithospherics or coasts and my second question going to be about topographical mapping. is it the same way this year or is it different cause i dont know. :(

Hi,

Was everyone aware of the new structure in the geography exam?

I just did the paper 1 and told my teacher of the changes, my paper 2 is tomorrow and supposedly i must answer a question of two of my themes rather than 1. i prepared to choose between lithospherics or coasts and my second question going to be about topographical mapping. is it the same way this year or is it different cause i dont know. :(

Hey! It's a lot different. The old syllabus had option with different names.The options in the new syllabus include:

1. A: Freshwater - Issues and Conflicts

2. B: Oceans and their Coastal Margins

3. C: Extreme Environments

4. D: Hazards and Disasters - Risk Assessment and Response

5. E: Leisure, Sport and Tourism

6. F: The Geography of Food and Health

7. G: Urban Environments

Hopefully this helps? I'm surprised you or your teacher were not aware of the changes. At least that is how I interpret your situation.

Thank you!

This really helps, so I know now not to waste my time with mapping :P and just concentrate on hazards and coasts.

My teacher only found out when i told him after doing the exam lol - hes an awesome teacher but sucks wioth the whole IB stuff, you have no idea how long it took to sort out the internal assessment to fit the requirements :P

Well if youre also doing Geo P2 tomorrow then i wish you the best of luck, I know ill need it :(

Best of Luck to you, too! Might I suggest a website with the assessment criteria? It'll really help you. I do not know if you are HL, but it also has the HL topics and their assessment criteria. If you can answer those questions, you have nothing to fear for tomorrow. As far as I know, we'll get all the Options. Each Option has 2 questions (with parts) and we have to answer 2 (SL) or 3 (HL) in total. Remember to take each question from a different option. I know it sucks to be reviewing on the last day, but do not panic. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine! So without further ado, here's the IB Geo Wiki for the new syllabus: http://ibgeog2009.wikispaces.com/

On the left, you'll see the Core and then the Options and then the HL Extensions! I'm SL, so I'm super happy that I am only taking one Paper tomorrow! :) Good Luck! :D

• Like 1

Best of Luck to you, too! Might I suggest a website with the assessment criteria? It'll really help you. I do not know if you are HL, but it also has the HL topics and their assessment criteria. If you can answer those questions, you have nothing to fear for tomorrow. As far as I know, we'll get all the Options. Each Option has 2 questions (with parts) and we have to answer 2 (SL) or 3 (HL) in total. Remember to take each question from a different option. I know it sucks to be reviewing on the last day, but do not panic. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine! So without further ado, here's the IB Geo Wiki for the new syllabus: http://ibgeog2009.wikispaces.com/

On the left, you'll see the Core and then the Options and then the HL Extensions! I'm SL, so I'm super happy that I am only taking one Paper tomorrow! :) Good Luck! :D

Im SL too :)

You are an absolute saint!!

You might just about have taught more than the 2 years my teacher did.

thanks a lot! and good luck again :)

you and me will conqour that paper ;)

I do not know of any website with notes for the new syllabus. What books do you use? And take a deep breath. IB students will always find a way. I mean we procrastinate when it comes to everything and manage to survive. This is just another pebble you have to jump over! Don't make it a boulder! Okay, so again, what books do you use? Any study guides?

Oh! That means you have the 4th edition. I have the 5th edition and the Oxford Study Guide. What options do you plan to answer? For Hazards and Disasters, for example, you need to be familiar with the following disasters:

1. Either Earthquakes or Volcanoes

2. Droughts

3. Hurricanes

4. Any one recent human-induced (technological) hazard resulting in an explosion or escape of hazardous material (Recent = year 2000 onwards)

Perhaps you could start making case studies? At least that will get you somewhere. Try to be familiar with definitions and their distribution. Also, why do people live in these hazardous areas (demographic and socio-economic factors). Perhaps, also mention that the poor, women, elderly and children are at high risk. Also, how to predict a disaster and measures that can be taken to deal with disasters.

If you take this option that is. What's the other one?

Have a look at this website perhaps: http://www.geographyalltheway.com/ib_geography/ib-hazards/hazards-disasters.htm

The have revision material for only three options, but apparently you have to register and pay. I am not sure if the website has enough resources though. I could not find any other online resources. Maybe Planet Geography has online resources you can buy/ download?

No problem! :) I do hope what I said will help you tomorrow. My exam is at 8 am and since you live in Poland I assume your exam starts at around the same time (ie no time difference). Do let me know how your exam went (in a message or something) since we won't be allowed to discuss the exam until Saturday. Just a general message.

Good Luck!