English A2 HL P1

Cynthia

@ Sharif0721,

Ye I also ran out of time, so annoying! I mentioned most of the things you pointed out, so should be a good sign ;D .. other things I included:

- the purpose of each text and how that related to how they portray juices, as in that one was trying to sell juices by promoting its healthy benefits whilst the other was informing,entertaining, and encouraging the person to make juices since it was an extract from a recipe book. That links to the audience, and how the web advert might of put so much emphesis on the health side rather than taste because our societies are becoming obsessed with being "healthy" with the least amount of effort.

- I talked a bit about the structure and organisation of ideas.

- Stylistic Devices: there was a metaphor in the first sentence of the text 1 (something about him being a slave to juices), similies, repetion.. I forgot to mention Assonance and use of Slang words but -.-

That combined with what you said is pretty much all I wrote about. Hope this helps ;)

btw, how much revision are you guys doing for paper 2? I have Chem and French before so doubt that I'm gonna be able to put much time into it.

damn I didn't mention any of that stuff.. like that metaphor.. I quoted it but didnt say it was a metaphor.. AND THERE WERE SIMILES?! I didn't mention that OR repition.. I dunno.. I think i mentioned enough (hopefully).

For paper 2, I'm just going to study the two novels I got (Kite Runner and The Lovely Bones) and just go through literature questions from past papers.. The recent paper 2 questions(from N10)were really easy.. like how betrayal was explored in the two novels studied.. Pretty easy.. But I don't know how to structure it that well.. If you do literature questions, dont you generally talk about the characters over and over and make reference to incidents? I don't know any other way to structure the essay.

Any tips?

Did anyone find stylictic devices in section B? I only found the queen of hearts in a deck of cards, which rhymes. Not sure that is a stylictic device though.

Didn't really find anything special personally... I focused more on things like syntax and diction and the treatment of the topic since there wasn't really anything, although I'm a bit worried about not mentioning any specific stylistic devices.

I did section A with the juices, and when I came here and read your responses I realised I've done a HUGE mistake :( I never realised it was a prose poem (we've never gone through what they are in my english class) so obviously I didn't comment on that at all! :/

I wondered afterwards why there wasn't a poem to choose from, and I came on here and realised my mistake :'(

Also I'm quite a slow writer so I only wrote about 5 sides (2.5 pages).

Are the examiners going to fail me? I need a 5 in english :(

I did section A with the juices, and when I came here and read your responses I realised I've done a HUGE mistake :( I never realised it was a prose poem (we've never gone through what they are in my english class) so obviously I didn't comment on that at all! :/

I wondered afterwards why there wasn't a poem to choose from, and I came on here and realised my mistake :'(

Also I'm quite a slow writer so I only wrote about 5 sides (2.5 pages).

Are the examiners going to fail me? I need a 5 in english :(

Well, you certainly won't be failed because of those things :) 5 sides is sufficient if you had enough things in there, to be honest 5 is a very regular amount of writing for me in English A2 at least so it's probably not a problem. Also, it definitely wasn't very obvious that there was a prose poem in Section A! I didn't notice it (I did write on the other section, but still), and am still not sure if it can really be called that...

I have written 9 sides, 5 total answer sheets on section A, I just was inspired...

Hey, thats exactly the number of pages I wrote. I did it on section A as well (the stuff with the juices). I want to know if the stuff I mentioned in my commentary was similar to a few of your ideas instead of me thinking that I bull*****ed throughout the whole thing :P

The stuff I included was...

-the use of perspective (the first one was 1st and 2nd person whereas the the website was 2nd and 3rd person)

- The use of register (cookbook was informal and the other was formal)

- How both texts had a lot of descriptive writing and persuassive language

- The use of sensory images (they both had images that were related to taste... uhh hello juice?)

Thats about all I mentioned.. although no similes metaphors or any of that :S I was going to make reference to more stuff but I just ran out of time :/

Can you tell me if that was enough? or like the stuff you might have included which I didnt mention? It will get a load off my shoulder.. i've been tense about that exam since!

Thanks.

I spoke a lot about purpose, which influenced approach, named few devices, but actually i distinguished the first one as the one where you get more sensory and taste images, while the second one as more concentrated on health, also noticed that in 1 the author said that no recipe is about health. spoke about the use of medical terms in 2, as well as quoting a doctor.